Oricutron v0.1 (now 0.8)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

kamelito wrote:How about selecting some line and having the total number of cycles displayed.
Thats quite a nice idea...
I think you already have symbols displayed in the debugger right? (ex rom call with the name, or address locations etc.
Yep.
I'd love an integrated symbolic assembler so you can code directly into the emulator.
There is an assembler in there, where you can use symbols, but you can't currently define new ones.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Oricutron is bloomin fantastic!

It is near perfect emulation.

Sorry for raising some rather pedantic issues on the issues page Xeron. I tried to test it as accurately as possible. :P

I suddenly wondered if the function key was supported and indeed it is, but i also noticed these other keys also supported..

Right Control
Alt Gr

Would it also be possible to support the Tab, CapsLock, Insert,Delete,Home PC keys in the spare col/row available?
Or perhaps this is asking too much
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Nice job from Peter for Oriculator.
Clearly, the video recorder is a wonderful idea
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi Peter,

Fantastic program, the debugger/monitor has been a big help trying to find a bug in some machine code that I'd written.

One thing I would like to suggest if that's alright, would it be possible to have a black border instead of a dark blue one, just a personal thing :-)

Another thing, in the monitor, the screen display in the top left corner doesn't appear to update/refresh, is this how it's suppose to work?

Keep up the great work

Cheers
Scott
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Yicker wrote:Fantastic program, the debugger/monitor has been a big help trying to find a bug in some machine code that I'd written.
Great! I'm glad it helped!
One thing I would like to suggest if that's alright, would it be possible to have a black border instead of a dark blue one, just a personal thing :-)
Yeah, i'll add that. Right now i'm concentrating on functionality over user interface.
Another thing, in the monitor, the screen display in the top left corner doesn't appear to update/refresh, is this how it's suppose to work?
It does update, but it is perhaps TOO realistic. You have to wait for the vertical retrace to catch up to your changes. If you hold down F10 while there is a lot of action going on on screen, you can actually see the vertical refresh in super slow-mo :-)

Underneath the PC there are three counters:

CY=xxxxxxxxx
FM=xxxxxx RS=xxx

CY = CPU cycles executed
FM = Video frames emulated
RS = Current raster line

In 50Hz mode, the Oric display is at rasterlines 65 to 288. In 60Hz, the Oric display is at 32 to 255.

I might add a key to toggle between actual video display and what is currently in memory.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hum, it's conceptually realistic, but since the 6502 and the ULA do not start synchronized on the real oric, what you are showing is based on an arbitrary synchronisation.

So yeah, assuming you implement the hardware sync, and that the code sync with it, that would make sense to do this realistic update, but else it's probably more handicapping than not.

Would suggest to make it not synchronised by default in the debugger, and have a switch to make it synchronised if the user wants :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Dbug wrote:So yeah, assuming you implement the hardware sync, and that the code sync with it, that would make sense to do this realistic update, but else it's probably more handicapping than not.
It wasn't really a conscious decision to make it like that; its just how the display is emulated in Oricutron (which I think makes sense even without sync; it more accurately shows what kind of tearing you can expect on a real Oric). I just haven't written the extra code required to show the actual memory contents instead of the currently emulated video output yet.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Cheers.

Another thing I meant to ask, in the Monitor I noticed that you can use a Symbols file whilst debugging.

What format does this Symbols file need to be in?

Thanks
Scott
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Yicker wrote: What format does this Symbols file need to be in?
It should be compatible with the one XA spits out.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Oricutron 0.4 is out, featuring:

* AY sound is (again) a lot better
* Fixed keyboard issues introduced with 0.3
* Improved menu navigation
* Tape noise is available again, although it doesn't work properly
* VIA shift register is partially implemented
* Disk writing is supported. The disk image won't be changed until you hit F7 (or shift-F7) to save changes back to the image file.
* New status bar with disk status icons
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Great work Xeron!

Just compiled it on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit, tried space 1999 and oricross and keys working as they should. :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I also built it on AI Touchbook and can confirm that its running great now - last version had definite problems with keyboard lag, but now its pretty tight. Nice!
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Now if I could just have a version for my PS3 :-)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Oricutron 0.5 is out. Changes:

* Preliminary VSync hack support (based on guess work).
* The windows port has an Oric icon.
* If saving a disk image fails, you are now notified via the info popup.
* Amiga & MorphOS ports now have a version string.
* Fixed the broken symbols in the debugger.
* You can now override default settings with a config file. An example one is provided.
* Warp speed is properly warpy again ;-)
* Added tape and AVI capture status icons.
* Shift register is a little bit better.
* Oric printer output works again.
* Long disk image filenames are truncated nicely now (like the tape filenames).
* Attempted to reduce calls to SDL_LockAudio()/SDL_UnlockAudio() in the emulation loop.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Wow, what a fantastic Icon!
I never thought of that one.. Absolutely perfect!

Hey Xeron, i need to know if the delay between setting the key column and row before the key state is returned in Bit 3 of PORT B is emulated yet?
If it is not emulated i will raise the issue here. The delay is around 12 cycles i believe. You can see the delay in the key scanning ATMOS ROM code..

Code: Select all

F573 LDY #4
F575 DEY
F576 BNE F575
The cycles here are about 17 but bound to be generous :P