Oricutron v0.1 (now 0.8)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

thrust26 wrote:How about "illegal" opcode support?
Its on my todo list.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Current code in the SVN has fully working digi playback, and standard operating system file requesters (windows file dialog on windows, ASL requester on OS4.x). The (crappy) built in requester is still available for ports that need it.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Xeron wrote:
Will you include 65816 emulation ?
Is there an Oric machine with a 65816?!
Is there a way to add code easily to add some others hardware emulation ?
What do you have in mind?
Hello,

In fact, it's already done on the oric, we can put a 65816 in an Oric, there is a 74LS245 and a 75LS00 to have it working. It's working on a telestrat, someone did it (FF). It's not difficult to do, the main problem is that you can't close the telestrat anymore, but the 65C816 is running on the oric.

It should be nice for me to have this kind of cpu, mainly for a thing but i can't talk about it.

For example, i have here an atmos with a WDC65C02 (PHX, PHY added :)

====

About "to add code easily to add some others hardware emulation", when FF decided to do a new emulator in 2004, he was talking about a kind of module to add hardware stuff. This emulator never released

For example, i finished a joystick interface for the Oric, i would like to add it in your emulator, it could be difficult : for this, i have to map a new 6522 in $320.

Another example, we should work on the oric graphics card on the oric, if we want to add this in your emulator, it's hard.

About the 65802, it can be plugged in the oric, without any electronic changes, but 65802 production is over (instead of 65C816 or 65C02).
kamelito
Flying Officer

You said too much

Post by kamelito »

You've said too much about things you can't talk about are you a sadist? :)
kml
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Managed to compile oricutron on ubuntu 9.10 64 bits(Thanks for the help Xeron), it seemed to be working ok, but when I tried to play space 1999, I couldn't move the actor, then I noticed that key 1 made him rotate but no other key would respond, mmy WIP Oricross also doesn't reponst to key presses :( . Then I tried eorships from Chema and zipnzap from Twi and both worked well(keys responded as they should)...
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

This is GREAT!... the feature that was missing yet...

Well I have some others in mind, but anyway :)

Cheers
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Awesome !
I want a version so I can start capturing demos and games !

About developper features, I was wondering if it would be possible to add something similar to what is present in Stella's integrated debugger:
http://stella.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
Noticed the comments with the clock cycles displayed in the side, that would be awesome.
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

How about selecting some line and having the total number of cycles displayed.
Or cycle between 2 addresses with or without subroutines calls :)
I think you already have symbols displayed in the debugger right? (ex rom call with the name, or address locations etc.

I'd love an integrated symbolic assembler so you can code directly into the emulator. Well the best would be all the tool needed in one place, assembler, map editor, char editor etc but I'm dreaming I know...(Am I?)

kml
Dbug wrote:Awesome !
I want a version so I can start capturing demos and games !

About developper features, I was wondering if it would be possible to add something similar to what is present in Stella's integrated debugger:
http://stella.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
Noticed the comments with the clock cycles displayed in the side, that would be awesome.
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

jede wrote:It should be nice for me to have this kind of cpu, mainly for a thing but i can't talk about it.

For example, i have here an atmos with a WDC65C02 (PHX, PHY added :)
LOL, I already supported the 65C02 in the music player code I wrote.
Another 65C02 feature was being able to use 0 as an offset off of the index register... or something along that line.

The 65816 has so many improvements it would be well worth using.
Larger stack that fits anywhere in the first 64K, direct page register, 16 bit registers, B accumulator (limited use but better than nothing), etc...

I could care less about the Telestrat, it's unobtainium. The question is, would and Oric Atmos close with one installed?

If nothing else, it would be great as part of an FPGA based Oric. I'd love to see a replacement board that drops into the Oric 1 or Atmos with a 65816, more RAM, SD or CF interface.
About the 65802, it can be plugged in the oric, without any electronic changes, but 65802 production is over (instead of 65C816 or 65C02).
You do realize they were used in a few applications and those are a source for the chips don't you?
Yes, I would butcher a piece of electronics just for the chip.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello
JamesD wrote: LOL, I already supported the 65C02 in the music player code I wrote.
Another 65C02 feature was being able to use 0 as an offset off of the index register... or something along that line.

The 65816 has so many improvements it would be well worth using.
Larger stack that fits anywhere in the first 64K, direct page register, 16 bit registers, B accumulator (limited use but better than nothing), etc...

I could care less about the Telestrat, it's unobtainium. The question is, would and Oric Atmos close with one installed?

If nothing else, it would be great as part of an FPGA based Oric. I'd love to see a replacement board that drops into the Oric 1 or Atmos with a 65816, more RAM, SD or CF interface.
You do realize they were used in a few applications and those are a source for the chips don't you?
Yes, I would butcher a piece of electronics just for the chip.
Hello,

Of course 65816 is a great improvement, there is a lot of new opcodes.

The 65816 will work easily in an atmos, it's the same as the telestrat one. But, it will be impossible to close the atmos too :)

Anyway, someone on 6502.org did a small pcb with a 65816 (DIP) and a 74LS00 (SMD package) and 74LS245 (SMD package), it's small enough to fit in an atmos, i think. The main problem is that it's a pain to solder smd package on a pcb.

For an Oric, in a FPGA, it's almost finished, a CEO guy has almost finished it. 6502 support only, but it will be easy

If i remember, the 65802 is in the cdrom drive of the pc engine or Super graphx. Some chessboard computers in 80's has this cpu (i found on the internet this kind of information).
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

It can be smaller :) But it needs professional pcb, it's not too expensive :

http://picasaweb.google.com/816beeb/Ret ... 5362194370
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Oricutron 0.3 is out featuring:

* Printer emulated
* AVI capturing
* Better AY (working digis)
* Proper file requesters
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

What codec is used for the AVI compression?
I can't play back the recorded files.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The AVI export uses the MRLE codec. Your favourite player might not support
it, but MPlayer plays it, ffmpeg converts it and you can upload it directly
to youtube.

Note that the MRLE codec shows up some endian-issues on the Amiga OS4 port
of MPlayer, so it will sound crappy and have wrong colours until those bugs
are fixed :-(
Works well with VLC and Youtube at least.