Oricutron v0.1 (now 0.8)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I raised an issue in the orictutron project site with this.

Thanks.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Sorry for the delay, I haven't had time to do any work on Oricutron for a while...

I was really hoping some other devs would be helping out once the source was released :-(
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

anyway, 0.8 is now released!

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/

win32 build up now. I'll do os4 soon.
Last edited by Xeron on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Cool, Chema is going to be happy :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Chema wrote:I would like to use Euphoric's option to dump AY registers to have a look at it
BTW, Oricutron's debugger has had the ability to show AY registers since forever. Just hit F4 to cycle the info panel.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great!!! Thanks indeed Xeron for this fabulous emulator :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Xeron - I hear what you're saying about other developers helping out, and I have some things I'd like to contribute to the project - build environment for Pandora, virtual keyboard support, etc. The problem has been time and synchronizing the effort with you - but rest assured there is definitely a desire to help you with development!
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

To people who had significant (several second) audio sync problems with Oricutron generated AVIs... did you use warp speed at all while recording?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Nope, it just happens.
If you do any video that gets in the multiple-minutes range, you notice that when you convert on youtube.

Thing is, I could never find anything that can replay the video correctly on my pc, only the youtube converter is able to show it as it should - but with the laggy audio.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

mplayer plays it fine. Vlc should probably work, too.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Could anyone who had sync problems recording AVI files please try this test build and see if it is any better:

http://www.petergordon.org.uk/tmp/oricu ... c_test.zip.

Warp speed is not available during AVI recording since it cause havoc with sync and timing, and its not easy to fix.

Also, doing anything that pauses the emulation (going into menus etc) will mess up the sync, but as long as you don't do that, it should be a lot better.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Xeron, just tested this version.

Audio seems much more in sync (I'd say it is perfect), though I think playback (both vid and audio) had some very small pauses a couple of times (mainly when the music played).

Still have difficulties to watch it, however. VLC reports that the video is "broken" and asks me if I want to "fix" it. If I do so, a dialogue appears saying that he is reparing the AVI "index".

Whatever I do, colors are terrible, like inversed and also only some seem to be seen. For instance, the Oric main screen (with the Tangerine... bytes free.. Ready) is pitch black.

I had this before, but the vid uploaded correctly to youtube, so I guess it is my player.

Cheers.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

use mplayer, not vlc.

glad to hear it works, though.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Has the demo "Quintessential" been tested on real hardware?

I ask because it is broken on recent builds of oricutron. When it gets to the "Eat Me" picture it ends up executing garbage.

Upon investigation, it is because during that part, the IRQ vector points to code that does "JSR $2020; JSR $4040; RTI", but there is garbage at $2020 and $4040.

With the older builds, the VIA emulation is out, so the IRQ never happens during the eat me picture.

With the new builds, the VIA emulation is (as far as we can tell) almost balls-on cycle accurate, and the timer 1 overflows while the picture is on the screen, and so the CPU ends up in no mans land.

So... is Quentessential broken, or Oricutron?!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Definitely works on real hardware, both on my Atmos and Pravetz. I believe Jede had it running on his Telestrat as well: We have a funky boot loader that uses relocatable code to work whatever the location chosen by the boot rom to load the code.

I believe the only demo that was not tested completely on real hardware was my first 'Just Oric' demo, the one you fixed. (Individual parts were tested, just not the whole stuff all together with the loader).

Now it's possible that our code is buggy and works only because the real microdisc is much slower than emulators.