Oricutron v0.1 (now 0.8)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

I would like to start Oricutron at the Oric Atmos CPU speed of 6.5 Mhz. What do I need to change (in it's INI file, or where?) to accomplish this?

Is it possible to accomplish this?
Best regards
Brana
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Brana.

As far as I know there is not a way to set a given CPU speed on oricutron. Either you run it at standard 1Mhz speed or in turbo mode (highest possible speed).

It would be a nice addition, though.

Cheers.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Oh.. :(
So, I have a choice: 1Mhz, or this "Turbo Mode"?

What is that Turbo Mode, how do I access it? I didn't manage to find it's options anywhere in Oricutron...?

And what is it's equivalent in CPU speed (Mhz number?) if it's compared to Euphoric?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

You enable/disable the turbo mode by pressing F6.

It's not a fixed speed, it basically try to go as fast as possible depending of what your CPU can do (I think). On mine it goes from 100% to about 2000%.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Forgive me if I'm mistaking, but it appears that Oricutron does not support CSAVE and STORE commands from within the program emulation?

(Thank You for Your reply regarding CPU speed).
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I think it doesn't in this version :(

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/issues/detail?id=32

BTW, you can check what is implemented and what is not, as well as current bugs in the project site:

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/

Cheers
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Oh, no.
If the tape saving is not implemented, then I can not possibly use it as a solution...

Please let me explain:
All my programs do some kind of RECALL at the very start of the code.
Then I use (and edit) the data (usually Strings) from with in the program (what I call a normal program usage) and at the end (at the "exit") - program itself simply must do a STORE command of the data edited by the user.

So if Oricutron is unable to run at a specific speed (example at 6 or 7 MHz, because 1Mhz is becoming too slow for me having in mind the amount of data in my programs!) and in addition if STORE (and/or CSAVE, but STORE is the real problem for me!) is not implemented...

...then I guess I really have nothing to do with Oriculator for the time being...

I will delete this program from my hard drives as for it really is quite useless for me :(

However, I will check back on this forum in a one or two years from now - to see if there are any changements...

Thank You all for Your responses.
Best regards
Brana.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

Hopefully Xeron will give us an update as to current progress on Oricutron as it has been very quiet for sometime now.

I agree with Brana, having the CSAVE/CLOAD (STORE/RECALL) commands working would be a great help and make the emulator more complete.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Indeed not having those routines is a pitty. You can't save your progress on some games, I guess.

It would be nice to hear from Xeron about the current progress. He quickly fixed a bug in emulating ora addr,x I spotted, although there has not been any new release with the bug fixed (only the sources).

This new emulator is a little marvel, and I would love to see it as close to total completion as possible (if such thing existed :) )

Cheers
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hi

i don't understand how to use the breakpoint in oricutron.
when i set a break pc at an adress, i don't see how to lauch the spft until the pc arrived at the break adress.

is there is spmething to do ?
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Just exit the debugger.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Not sure if this has already been addressed... I recall something, but I am not sure.

I am experiencing problems when reading a dsk image modified by Oricutron inside Euphoric.

I have been playing with WAVE writting a small tune for Skool Daze and I would like to use Euphoric's option to dump AY registers to have a look at it. But when trying to load the dsk the directory seems corrupted (even a DIR fails with strange attributes shown on screen). It works correctly in Oricutron, though.

Any ideas?
seb
2nd Star Corporal

oricutron and dsk files

Post by seb »

hi,

i got recently some trouble with modified dsk files by oricutron ...maybe the same problem ?

i had to fix in hex editor the dsk image by replacing "A1 A1 A1 F8" sequences by "A1 A1 A1 FB".

cheers
seb
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

This is interesting... maybe a bug? Anybody knows what that sequence of bytes stands for?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:Anybody knows what that sequence of bytes stands for?
It's indicating the beginning of the datas in a sector. No surprise that, if FB is replaced by F8, the disk becomes unreadable ;-)