Oriculator (WIP)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Oh dear. Development might slow down now... i've been downloading all the old games I used to have on my Atmos and trying them out in Oriculator :-)

They're all working great!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The few things I tried worked fine, great work :)
acid_head
Private

Post by acid_head »

For a nice AY emulation library you can try: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libayemu/
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

This is super cool .. the debugger interface looks like exactly what I needed when I was 13 years old to figure out how everything works. Great! :)

Are you going to release the sources/make a Linux/OSX version?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

ibisum wrote:This is super cool .. the debugger interface looks like exactly what I needed when I was 13 years old to figure out how everything works. Great! :)
Are you going to release the sources/make a Linux/OSX version?
I'm going to open source it once i have disk drives working. Maybe sooner if i get stuck with that :-)

I'll still maintain the official version, but will happily give SVN access to interested parties.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'd like to see it running on the OpenPandora handheld gaming console, heh heh .. hope I get mine soon!
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

hello Xeron, some news about the sound progress ?

a little demo version ? :wink:
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Thanks for the great work... the debugger has been very useful already.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

After spending some time with the debugger there is one suggestion I'd make. Instead of just a memory dump it would be nice if you could display a block of memory and it's contents were updated as we step through the code or while it runs.
I've used this feature on the Virtual MC-10 emulator and it's really nice.
http://www.geocities.com/emucompboy/

It also imports the lst file generated by the assembler so you can see labels in the code as you step through it and some other cool things.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

JamesD wrote:It also imports the lst file generated by the assembler so you can see labels in the code as you step through it and some other cool things.
It's what Euphoric is doing, the label file generated by XA is loader by the debugger so we can have symbols.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Dbug wrote:
JamesD wrote:It also imports the lst file generated by the assembler so you can see labels in the code as you step through it and some other cool things.
It's what Euphoric is doing, the label file generated by XA is loader by the debugger so we can have symbols.
I have Vista on the machine I'm developing on. Running DOSBox just to run Euphoric is inconvenient to say the least.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

JamesD wrote:
Dbug wrote:
I have Vista on the machine I'm developing on. Running DOSBox just to run Euphoric is inconvenient to say the least.
Well, let's say it was more like a "discreet" hint to suggest Xeron to try to be compatible with the way he handles symbols :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Hello everyone.

Well, I haven't had any time to work on Oriculator for several weeks :-(

But I have not given up on it!

Also, I have now released the sourcecode under GPL v2. You can check it out of the SVN here:

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator.

Any patches and improvements gratefully received.

The code in the repositry has the beginnings of disk support, but it is hopelessly broken at this time. I could really use some help with that :-)

Edit: I will try and tidy up and better document the code in the coming week or so.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

I've added a memory watch window to the debugger.

I've also refactored and commented parts of the code.

There is a WIP snapshot build in the download section of the google code page, if anyone wants to try it out. It includes disk support, but don't expect it to work, it is still hopelessly broken.

BTW, if anyone wants commit access to the SVN to help out with development, let me know. You need a google account (not necessarily a gmail account).
Torlus
Officer Cadet

Post by Torlus »

Hey there, any developer around ? :D
I'm far from being an Oric expert, but well, I'd be glad to help if I can.
Just tell us on which topics you'd like some help, and I think it would help people to see if they can help (or not).