Any new Oric Emulator

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Twilighte
Game master

Any new Oric Emulator

Post by Twilighte »

It would be so nice that any new or enhanced (beyond Euphoric) emulator could handle the following..

1) The 6522 shift register was never emulated in Euphoric. It would be cool if any new emulator could support FULL 6522 emulation.
2) Fabrice added a second AY chip using that spare bit in 6522 port B to enable it. It would be great if this was supported.
3) Realistic tape handling like TZX files on Spectrum. So that actual loading sound is provided and allows games like loneraider to sound the loading tune.
4) Proper windowed Emulator, like most emulators available today, the emulator would sit (optionally) on the Windows desktop without needing dosbox or third party dos sound emulators.
5) The Debugger would show the contents of each AY sound chip register.
6) A facility similar to Dosbox that allowed a session to be captured to an AVI.
7) A facility to view areas of memory being modified by the current program. This is already done by the debugger but only shows a small window and only updates per cycle. Something like a window that can be zoomed in and out, and memory is shown in colours indicating hotspots of memory writes.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Any new Oric Emulator

Post by Symoon »

Twilighte wrote:3) Realistic tape handling like TZX files on Spectrum. So that actual loading sound is provided and allows games like loneraider to sound the loading tune.
Well, this is already achieved using the hardware tape (F1) and a WAV file, isn't it?
:?
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

i Agree with twilee , what will happen in the future with vista and other OS ?

this good old Euphoric will not work forever and dosbox is not so easy to use (for me and a lot of oric fans !)

i pray for great masters of our community decide the first priority to create a new emulator !

Please , i want to play tyrann or zorgons even in 10 or 20 years :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, it's perfectly possible to do an easy to set up Euphoric + DosBox that can be used transparently.

And with DosBox you can be guaranteed that Euphoric will still work fine under Vista, or the next version of Windows.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Dbug wrote:Well, it's perfectly possible to do an easy to set up Euphoric + DosBox that can be used transparently.
:D yes, thanks to think at dummies !

not easy to use french keyboard with dosbox :?
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

maximus wrote:
Dbug wrote:Well, it's perfectly possible to do an easy to set up Euphoric + DosBox that can be used transparently.
:D yes, thanks to think at dummies !

not easy to use french keyboard with dosbox :?
nobody made you put the keycaps in the wrong place on your keyboard ;)

but seriously, isnt there an azerty keyboard mode for dosbox?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

"keyb fr" :p
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Euphoric +Dosbox is great, but i do know its demand on the CPU is much greater than (say) WinVice(C64) or EmuZwin(Spectrum).
And why shouldn't any new Emulators prerequisite be to reside on the desktop?

Another great addition would be to have a similar control in the border of the emulator like WinVICE. It shows Joystick positions as LED's and Disc Track/Sector activity. So useful. I guess any Oric version could also show what type of joystick was active, and Printer status, Clock Speed, Sync-TapeIn, Cassette Relay State, pretty much most of the stuff in F1 screen.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Caloric should be buildable with SDL in win32.
Without the debugger like on BeOS but it's still useful.
The GTK gui might even build on win32.
http://caloric.anarcho.fr/
I ported it to BeOS some time ago, didn't check it recently.