Oricutron and Mac Sierra and High Sierra

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
ThomH
Flying Officer

Re: Oricutron and Mac Sierra and High Sierra

Post by ThomH »

Dbug wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 pm
ThomH wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:01 pmand you can virtualise old versions of OS X going back to 10.4 which was the first version on this side of the Intel transition.
In my (somewhat limited) experience, running OSX in a VM was good enough for normal applications, but it gave terrible performance for games or anything relying heavily on OpenGL/shaders.

Maybe we did it wrong, we only had a could of "mac" people, the rest was Windows and Linux developers :)
I virtualise Linux on the Mac and can confirm that OpenGL performance isn't great. Luckily I'm using it to evaluate for correctness, not performance.

A completely latent bug in my emulator prior to adding a Linux target was an accidental assumption about attribute locations in compiled GLSL code. It would have been unlikely that I, as an amateur, would ever have uncovered that without trying a completely different GLSL compiler.

So I'm definitely generally in favour of supporting as many platforms as possible. Even as it was, given my latent bug I wasn't really supporting the Mac correctly so much as a specific temporal instance of it. It's completely different for proper commercial products that are going to be tested on a much wider variety of hardware (and hopefully not by the users) but for stuff like Oric emulators I tend to look at slogging through with Xcode-or-whatever's hurdles towards having another distinct set of tools checking over your work as worth the cost.