Disk conversion - with XP

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
christian
Pilot Officer

Re: Disk conversion - with XP

Post by christian »

Until now, I can't raise the same error.
I will test with a disk created by tap2dsk and see if it's ok or not
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

I found 2 different versions of tap2dsk, one in http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... n/tap2dsk/ and one in http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... c/tap2dsk/
I think the one in odsk directory is the last, right?
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

What I did:
  • tap2dsk welcome.tap test.dsk
  • old2mfm test.dsk
  • oricutron -d disks/sedoric3.dsk (then insert test.dsk in drive B)
Oricutron can read the dsk and can save a file on it
OricFS can read the dsk but can't add file, so I think there is something else.

The reason why OricFs can't add a file is that Track #20 Sector #03 is filled with $00 only, which I think isn't correct.
OricFS check bytes 02-03 when it try to find a free sector, the test.dsk report 90 sectors free but last available sector 00.

If somebody can confirm my assumption on second BitMap.
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

I answer to my own question: Track #20 Sector #03 can be filled with $00 if the disk is single sided, so I must modify OricFS accordingly.

I finally succeeded in formatting a Sedoric Disk with Euphoric, Oricutron can't format Sedoric disks which is a bit strange because it can format FT-Dos disks...

Regarding the issue reported by Chema & Ron, I saw this error sometimes with Oricutron after inserting a disk (not modified by OricFS).
I don't know why ,maybe something related to the bug with format command and Sedoric.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

christian wrote:I answer to my own question: Track #20 Sector #03 can be filled with $00 if the disk is single sided, so I must modify OricFS accordingly.
Actually I think it depends on the Sedoric version, my guess would be:
- Sedoric V1.x = always 1 bitmap sector, 1 or 2 sides
- Tap2dsk (which states Sedoric v3) = 1 bitmap sector, 1 side
- Sedoric V2.x or v3.x = always 2 bitmap sectors, 1 or 2 sides

IIRC, adding the 2nd bitmap sector was made to manage 3.5" disks which allowed more tracks - not depending on the sides.
So according to the version, the track#20 sector #03 could also be filled with $00 while double-sided, or be filled with $FF while single sided. A single-sided disk, 16 sectors, 24 tracks made with Sedoric 3, has a bitmap on sectors 2 and 3.

If I'm not mistaken, beware one can't rely on the amount of sides, to determine if 1 or 2 bitmap sectors will be used. Nor on Sedoric version number since Tap2dsk initially formats like Sedoric 1 but states Sedoric 3.
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

I'm not sure it depends on Sedoric's version because if I format a single sided Sedoric v3 disk with 17 sectors and 21 tracks, the second bitmap at T20 S03 is filled with $00, but 16 sectors and 24 tracks single sided fill the second bitmap with last available sector number and so on.

My assumption was the second bitmap is always filled with right values (at least with v2 & v3).

I think it relies on the total number of sectors but I can't understand how because only one bitmap is needed up to (256-16)*8=1920 sectors
17*21 = 357
16*24 = 384

Oricutron + Sedoric reports the "read fault 10" mostly the first time I do "DIR B" with some disks (formatted & empty) depending on its number of tracks, sectors and sides
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi guys. This has become too technical for me to be of any help :(

But just as a side note we performed some tests with real Orics and 3.5" floppies, SEDORIC V3 (the one from the image sedoric3.dsk) and the Microdisc clone from Silicebit regarding the formatting options. It seems that formatting disks with 17 sectors per track and up to 82 tracks (two sides) works flawlessly. With 18 sectors per track, things become more unstable.

That means formatting disks to 256 X 17 X 82 X 2 = 713.728 Bytes.

The full tests (for reference, but in spanish) here:
http://www.retrowiki.es/fororw/viewtopi ... os+sedoric

As I said, just for the record... :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Very useful! Thanks Chema and Silicebit.