Android emulator

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
OulanB
2nd Star Corporal

Re: Android emulator

Post by OulanB »

Ok it is done, look for goOric emulator in google play. Some infos at https://sites.google.com/site/olivier2s ... jects/oric

OulanB
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great! Congratulations.

I don't have an Android device, but if I ever set my hands on one of them, I'll try it :)
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi OulanB

I can't find goOric anywhere on the Google Play Store, has it been uploaded yet?

Cheers
Scott
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .emul.oric

I think this is the application page but to my opinion, its quite expensive.. sorry.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

I found it. £9 is far, far too expensive. You've got serious fans like us balking at the price, so anyone else will just walk on by.

I'm not suggesting you make it free. but a third of that is more realistic and comparable to other paid emulators on the platform.

For example, Spectaculator, the Android port of the leading Spectrum emulator, only costs £2.49. With that are included some licenced games.
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

And you're lucky ... for european people, and frenchies of course ; the price is 10 € !
It's very expensive. I'm agree and a lot of emulators for various computers are cheaper.

Not for me even if i've an android phone. I suggest the author to look for spectrum emulators ... for example marvin which one is free and allowing you to get software on a website.
The top !
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well the author can sell it, no problem, there is certainly a great amount of work in there.
But it's true that on the user side, it seems expensive when you can get Dosbox and Euphoric running for free (slowly though) on Android, or run emulators for free on a proper computer.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hmm, I checked the page, and I have to say that I don't like having my demos downloadable as .TAP and .DSK without the .NFO or any information about the authors.
As far as I'm concerned, it's not nice.
OulanB
2nd Star Corporal

Post by OulanB »

I am sorry that you did not see the credits entry of the page, I will remove the tap files anyway.

10€ is not even the price of a meal in Paris, or just one ticket for theater...

For the price, it is up to you but if ONE of you is ready to GIVE me a working oric atmos + at least 2 microdisc unit with some 3" discs (or only one with 3"1/2 drive), I can GIVE this program to this person ....

I will make soon a free relase of a 16K oric atmos to allow people to test it.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

OulanB wrote:I am sorry that you did not see the credits entry of the page, I will remove the tap files anyway.
I saw the credits. The point is that the information should follow the file.
The original distribution had a nfo file, it is not supposed to be removed.
OulanB wrote:10€ is not even the price of a meal in Paris, or just one ticket for theater...
Well, the problem of starting to talk money on this kind of domain is that:
- There are many emulators out there who are available for free, with the source code. Why paying for one?
- You asked for some help, are you planning to give just retribution for that?
- What about the ROMS, do you have the right on them?
The bottom line is, writing emulators is a lot of work, so is writing demos, tools, maintaining websites, writing articles for magazines, reviews, etc... so defending a price in a rational way is probably not going to have a huge emotional impact :)[/quote]
OulanB wrote:I will make soon a free relase of a 16K oric atmos to allow people to test it.
Nothing run on an Atmos 16k, not much of a test Oo ?
OulanB
2nd Star Corporal

Post by OulanB »

I found the demos here : https://archive.org/details/Tangerine_O ... 2012_04_23 without any notice ....

As I am not happy with current emulators for android (and also PC) I started to wrote my own (from scratch as I did not like to just take a bunch of source and compile it, I prefer to understand what I compile) ... I choose to sell them for a small fee, after that it is up to each person to decide.

In fact I wrote it to play again 'Le fer d'Amnukor' ... nothing was easy to play that on any system, so my emulator allow me to play it again, it is enough for me anyway. It happens that it play nicely your very good barbitoric demo (even the sound is right, I compare with the video file) so ...

PS. the files are now removed from my page

PPS you have nice 4K demos no ?
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

There are games that will run in 16k e.g. Light Cycles from P.S.S.

I do agree that in principle, 9 pounds (which is more than 10 euros) is not a large sum.

But in relative terms, compared to other similar products within the same market, it is high, especially for a new unknown quantity.

I bought Spectaculator because it is proven, with regular updates and good support. With goOric we have no idea how well it emulates as you've started from scratch. Oricutron took a few revisions to work out some issues.

How do you find sales of your other products at the higher price, compared with those that are at the lower end of the scale?

While I'd like Oric on my tablet, I don't need it, so its primarily that pricing that stops me (while I remember, its also more than I have paid for any game or utility on Android, even the big budget stuff).

Given there's 3 of us not bought it at 9 pounds, would those 3 sales at 3 pounds not balance out? The lower impulse buy price point will, I believe, provide more funds in the long term to achieve your goal.
OulanB
2nd Star Corporal

Post by OulanB »

You can search for goOric16 https://sites.google.com/site/olivier2s ... jects/oric for a free one. Super Advanced Breakout works in 16K :roll: There is also some demos which works, but you will have to find them yourself (I prefer not to put too much .tap on my page to avoid unhappy authors ...)

Anyway, whatever the price, it is always too much for someone.

If you have any doubts about my abilities to correct bugs, look at my other apps on google play (this is not my first emulator) or look at my other pages at https://sites.google.com/site/olivier2smet2/

Anyway, feel free to ask for bugs corrections or enhancements
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Had a quick play with the 16k version and it runs quite well although couldn't get a tape to load. Will spend more time looking at it later today.

As to the paid version, although I appreciate the amount of time and effort that is involved in writing the emulator I have to agree with the others that £9 is too costly for me. Something around £2 or £3 would be more acceptable.

Cheers
Scott
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I would just port Oriculator to Android for free, as my ethos leads me to conclude that is simply the best Oric emu, since it is open, Xenon is a great coder, and having the sources be open and available for all, for such an effort, can only lead to further - better, imho - survival of our old, archaic machines.