Oricutron 1.0 (EDIT: Now 1.2)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
christian
Pilot Officer

Re: Oricutron 1.0 (EDIT: Now 1.2)

Post by christian » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:41 pm

I just made a PR on Github with the patch to add the support of the WRITE TRACK command.

iss
Squad Leader

Post by iss » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 pm

@christian: Thanks! This is really very useful. Your PR's are already merged and I'll update developer builds asap.

@ALL: Guys, please take a look at the short discussion we had about "Handling size-change of loaded DSK image file" started here. If you want to comment on github I opened new issue. But it's OK to share your opinions here too.

In short the problem occurs when you load a DSK image made with tap2dsk/old2mfm in Oricutron and you try to low-level format it with more tracks/sides than it contains ... now Oricutron crashes!
There is a very simple solution - always to extend the DSK to maximum, but this is somehow ugly...
Any ideas are welcome!

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Extending the DSK format would still mean that the emulator would crash when starting from a legacy version of DSK files.

Would it not make more sense to have Oricutron loads into memory the entire DSK, in some flexible structure that can be extended, etc... and save a full newly updated file when write operations are done (say, after "n" seconds) or before quitting or swapping floppies?

ThomH
Flying Officer

Post by ThomH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:15 pm

If you'll forgive the interlocutor from a different emulator entirely, I added a quick extra comment to the write track pull request. It was merged 23 days ago, so I thought I'd better also mention it here: if I've understood the code correctly then I think it'll generate CRCs incorrectly in FM mode. Which, admittedly, is probably not be something you care about too much since the Oric file format can't accurately store FM data, and I think that as a result Oricutron can't accurately model FM data (?), but there it is.

Also, for when it arises, I think there's a bug in my emulator anyway but I'm not doing [/trying to do] anything smarter than zero-filling the DSK file where there's an unformatted track. You could get that if someone loaded an 80-track DSK file and then formatted track 82. Zero filled isn't really the same as unformatted, but you have to fill space in the file somehow.

EDIT: and this is completely picky stuff, to which a rational person might say: emulating that is a detriment as complexity outweighs benefit, but I think your read track also doesn't reproduce the spurious C2 sync issue.

If you map the nine-bit pattern 000101001 into MFM, you get x010 1001 0001 0010 01. The C2 sync pattern is 0101 0010 0010 0100. So the valid input stream 000101001, with all clock bits, includes the C2 sync pattern. In read track mode, when the WD has its logic to spot sync patterns permanently enabled, it will therefore often suddenly produce a spurious C2 and then a bunch of mis-framed nonsense rather than the real data.

iss
Squad Leader

Post by iss » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 pm

Let's start the new year with something new:
Oricutron for developers updated: 2020-01-02.

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:23 am

I tried the version yesterday, what are exactly the differences between the oricutron and oricutron_sdl2 executables?
I did not notice any obvious difference when testing them, but when I tried to save to AVI, the SDL2 version had some weird background noise in the movie file while the other was clean.

iss
Squad Leader

Post by iss » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 am

Normally Oricutron uses SDL ver.:1.2, but for porting it to Android we needed to use SDL ver.:2.0 as result there are 2 binaries respectively for both SDL versions. I'll check what can be the source of the difference between both audio captures.