Oricutron 1.0 (EDIT: Now 1.2)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Oricutron 1.0 (EDIT: Now 1.2)

Post by iss »

New update to Oricutron:
  • Added new option "50Hz/60Hz aspect ratio" in "Video options..." menu.
    This option is available only with OpenGL render.
  • Status bar displays difference in scan-lines between VSync and VIA's timer 1.
    By default this is disabled. Use 'make DEBUG_VSYNC=1' to enable it during Oricutron's compilation.
Some pictures of simple program to switch 50Hz/60Hz text mode and the results. VSYNC in status bar shows different numbers because timer 1 is not set with proper value for selected mode (19966/16894).
5060.jpg
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hmmm, I think in 50hz the ratio should be more crushed: Circles are supposed to look like elipses :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Ups ...my bad! Thanks, Dbug.
EDIT: Now it's fixed ...
5060-fixed.jpg
... and it's just like real Oric on LCD TV :)
5060-tv.jpg
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

One sec... are you saying that in 60Hz mode the screen aspect ratio is not the usual in the Oric????

:shock:

I thought they were both the same, independently of the mode, as the number of pixels is still far from the 4:3 (240x224 and not 320x224), as the 60Hz is just a refresh rate...
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Wow, iss! Nice work! Glad someone has time to work on Oricutron while I'm too busy :-)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

This is an example of what I always wanted in an emulator: remote debugging, so I can write a program which tells Oricutron to dump the memory from A to B continuously and the program could interpret the dump for me (decoding the data and telling the sate of threads, my memory block list, objects in memory and their status, whatever....)

This is being done in ZEsarUX, a great speccy (and more!) emulator.

https://youtu.be/ZN9Lho6j_xY

I understand it is not easy, and not sure if it would be portable enough (it is using sockets), so just toying with the idea ;)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Nobody is listening to me :cry:

If you only knew how this characteristic evolved in that zx-spectrum emulator and the possibilities it opens for debugging...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Maybe it would make sense to have something like a GDB compatible layer, that would make it possible to attach to Oricutron as if it was a GDB instance, which means you could run and debug visually in things like Code::Blocks :)
maximus
Flying Officer

Screenshots in oricutron ?

Post by maximus »

Screenshots in oricutron ?

I don't find the way to make screenshots, is it impossible ?

I need 240x228 pixels pictures

thanks
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The only way to get screenshot is using the print screen function from the operating system. Remember to reduce the zoom of the emulator display because it is by default set to x2.

In fact i'm not sure this is possible.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

For 240x224 pictures you can capture very short video - press F10, wait a second, press F10 again to stop capture.
Than using ffmpeg extract the first frame:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -y -i video00.avi -frames:v 1 test.png
You can use png, jpg, bmp ....

Some results:
test.png
test.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 15230 times
b7.png
b7.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 15230 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Would be kind of more practical to have something that automatically saves a screenshot, with auto-numbering, maybe even using the name of the loaded tape or dsk as a base name, incrementing and saving each time you press a key :)
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Thanks guys, not practical but possible :P

Hope this function will be added in the future

not by me of course :oops: :mrgreen:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Again not sure where to post this... I know I could flag a bug, but I am not sure how to describe it, so I prefer to hear some feedback.

First of all, I am not sure if the bug I reported here http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... =60#p12800 was dealt with at all. Any ideas/news?

Second, a person I know is trying to use The Quill. We are not able to make it work from disk, and using it within Oricutron has problems when saving the game data. We have tried several options:
  • Simply select save and a filename (with .tap extension and without it), as requested by the program. No TAP file is generated.
  • Check if it was adding it to the quill.tap. I am not completely sure, but I think it does not try to add it even if the tap name is displayed on the status as if writing there. In any case, I cannot load it back.

As the program can search for data with a given name, I selected another tap then the quill.tap file again (is there an easy way to rewind?) and tried to LOAD it. It FOUND the program data chunks and nothing else. Besides the file was apparently not modified.
  • I found no way to create an empty file from the emulator's menu whatsoever.
  • Create a dummy tape with an empty program and CSAVE"", then selecting it in Oricutron before saving the game data. It did not work, even if the loading routine can search for a chunk with a given name, ignoring the rest.
  • Use the F9 option to start recording on a tape (ort), then save, then press F9 again. Some kind of dummy data appears on the file, but it seems to me that it is created when the ort image is created, but no actual data is stored. When trying to restore the data, I tried to select the ort file and all I got is a "Searching.." message.
So, basically I can't find a way to make Oricutron save the work on a new file so it can be loaded back. It may be that Quill is using some kind of ROM calls which are not trapped by the emulator, or use its own routines or that I am being dumb, but there is no obvious way to do something as simple as that.

Has anybody else spotted awkward behaviour with loading/saving data on tapes?

Oh, and BTW, I did not test on Euphoric yet. If I have some time and do the test, I will report results here.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

From The Quill docs: "The Quill contains its own tape handler which allows files to be saved, verified or loaded at two different speeds on either the Oric-1 or the Atmos interchangably".
So yes it seems to be specific save/load routines!