Clock Signal — an Oric emulator for macOS and Linux

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
ThomH
Pilot Officer

Re: Yet Another

Post by ThomH » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:35 am

iss wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 pm
Cool! ... and it works! :)
Nice RGB and composite emulation.
All my DSK images are running fine, but I found that original Blake's 7 (v1.1 - English) fails to boot, there is error after each sector was read: CRC error; terminating Maybe the problem is in the image (Chema?).
The error appears to be the image: there's sufficiently many out there with incorrect CRCs that I think Oricutron declines to check them (?). A quick run through my DSK CRC fixer reports 2720 CRCs checked, 952 fixed. A correct DSK image is attached.
iss wrote:
One wish from me: I want to have HFE with Oric too ;).
Oh, sure. I didn't realise it was applicable. I'll see what my options are. I like to add things only so as not to increase complexity, so I will need to add some logic to distinguish an Oric image from other kinds of image. I admit that with the Oric DSK being platform specific I've not had to look at that at all really.

The situation is quite different for tapes: the emulator allows CSWs to be mapped to any supported platform by content inspection, and if it's launching an Oric then it decides between BASIC 1.0 and 1.1 through disassembly.
iss wrote:
EDIT: for Linux build 'scons' is required too.
Yes, true. Apologies for failure to mention that.
Attachments
B7en-1.1.dsk.zip
(211.76 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Yet Another (EDIT: now also for Linux)

Post by Dbug » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:37 pm

I guess I forgot to implement the CRC fix in the FloppyBuilder.
I could probably use your tool to validate that the result works :)

ThomH
Pilot Officer

Re: Yet Another

Post by ThomH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:10 am

iss wrote:
One wish from me: I want to have HFE with Oric too ;).
Your wish is my command. The newest release attempts to support HFE images of Oric disks. If you have any testing material or any feedback, let me know!

iss
Squad Leader

Re: Clock Signal — an Oric emulator for macOS and Linux

Post by iss » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks for taking my wish so serious :).
I checked the latest release (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3). It works fine with DSK images.
I like especially 'Options' and the way to quick switch RGB/Composite.
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 21.53.44.jpg
But none of my HFE images are working. :( I use the command line tool to convert DSK to HFE.
Can you attach any HFE which works for you to test?
About CLK for Linux - build from current git sources fails with 3 problems:
- I have to add ../../ClockReceiver to include path
- StaticAnalyser.cpp - memcmp wants #include <string.h>
- MultiJoystickMachine.cpp - std::find wants #include <algorithm>
But more important is that when I start ./clksignal it breaks my Window Manager i.e. all open windows lose their title bars, frames, buttons etc.
I follow your work closely, may be I should start reporting on github...

ThomH
Pilot Officer

Post by ThomH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 pm

iss wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:23 pm
Thanks for taking my wish so serious :).
I checked the latest release (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3). It works fine with DSK images.
But none of my HFE images are working. :( I use the command line tool to convert DSK to HFE.
Can you attach any HFE which works for you to test?
I didn't have any Oric HFE files so I cheated and used the Nibble sector editor to inspect a CPC HFE (by drag and drop onto a running Oric). If you can attach a non-working one that could be helpful, otherwise I'll endeavour to do a proper test. This stuff is just supposed to work; I guess I was over-confident.
iss wrote:
I like especially 'Options' and the way to quick switch RGB/Composite.
The SDL kiosk mode, which is currently the Linux port, is as much about forcing an extra build target into things so that I don't inadvertently throw portability to the wind as anything else. I also want to do a Qt or GTK wrapper too at some point, to provide proper menus to X11 users. And hopefully a win32 wrapper at some point. Android is the most-requested additional platform though, so I'm looking at transitioning to that via an unreleasable iOS port.
iss wrote:
About CLK for Linux - build from current git sources fails with 3 problems:
- I have to add ../../ClockReceiver to include path
- StaticAnalyser.cpp - memcmp wants #include <string.h>
- MultiJoystickMachine.cpp - std::find wants #include <algorithm>
Grrr, I'm an idiot. I've been running Linux through virtualisation to test builds, but that Mac is temporarily unavailable to me. So I attempted to validate manually, but obviously failed.
iss wrote:
But more important is that when I start ./clksignal it breaks my Window Manager i.e. all open windows lose their title bars, frames, buttons etc.
It's just a standard SDL+OpenGL program, making no attempt to manage windows itself, so that outcome confuses me greatly. I assume this does not happen with other OpenGL programs? I'm using the Core Profile (i.e. OpenGL 3.2+) supposing that might affect anything.
iss wrote:
I follow your work closely, may be I should start reporting on github...
I have definitely hit an inflection point where other bugs are starting to appear on Github, and it definitely helps as to visibility. I'm in a consolidation phase right now as the dynamic analyser* is allowing me to rethink some assumptions, so it's a perfect time for bug reports. I'll transcribe the comments above into bug reports.

There's also a crashing bug currently filed related to Vic-20 disk images, and both build and crashing bugs cross my comfort threshold so expect the building issue to be fixed very promptly. Especially as you've already done the work for me!

* doesn't affect the Oric. But, essentially, nowadays if you insert a piece of media for which the correct machine or hardware configuration cannot be determined a priori, the proper machine and configuration will be found empirically. E.g. if you provide a 16kb file with a .bin extension and the emulator can't figure out whether it's meant to be a ColecoVision or an Atari 2600 game, it'll just simultaneously try both with some light instrumentation and show the user whichever seems to be the more likely outcome until the case is so overwhelming that it can drop the improper guess. Which usually happens really quickly.

ThomH
Pilot Officer

Post by ThomH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 pm

Quick update! I've uploaded a new release. Of the issues listed it corrects:
  • include paths for the SDL target; and
  • HFE support.
The latter tested with the conversion of 1337 attached.
Attachments
1337.hfe.zip
(113.03 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

iss
Squad Leader

Post by iss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:32 am

Cool! It works with HFE.
I've changed the XRander to OpenGL 3.1 and no more problems with the window manager.

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 am

This is looking better and better! I don't have a Linux box around, but I will try to get a virtual machine working just to try this!

Impressive work! Thanks indeed.