Want to try Oric-1 demo

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Want to try Oric-1 demo

Post by Spocky »

Hello everyone,
I want to make some demo on my Oric-1. I have only the rom 1.0 basic rom now (I will look to put the 1.1 from atmos) so I have to use ASM or basic code for it I guess. In fact, I've looked for the C programming tools but the documentation explain that the code can only run on a atmos rom.

So to do it I will use some basic code. Their is no problem for music but I have a problem with pictures and animation. Can I make it easily with basic code? Perhaps using somethings as array or stuff like that?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Want to try Oric-1 demo

Post by Dbug »

Spocky wrote:Hello everyone,
I want to make some demo on my Oric-1. I have only the rom 1.0 basic rom now (I will look to put the 1.1 from atmos) so I have to use ASM or basic code for it I guess. In fact, I've looked for the C programming tools but the documentation explain that the code can only run on a atmos rom.
That's actually not exact.
The code will run only on Atmos if you call the system functions like "Paper", "Hires", "Text", etc...
It's perfectly possible to either:
- Replace the hard-coded addresses to point to the Oric-1 rom equivalent if you know it
- Have your own code doing the same thing without calling the ROM at all.

Give a try at the OSDK, just change the values in %osdk%\lib\graphics.s to point to the correct values (there are some others in 'header.s').
Actually, if you manage to make an Oric 1 version, you can send me the files later and I can make the OSDK both Oric 1/Atmos compatible :)

You may be interested by the fact we have a demo project for 2013, related to the 30 years birthday of the Oric: If you can make some model agnostic demo effects, I would gladly add them in the Oric 30 years demo.
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

It would be more easy in this case. I've look, I have some value to modify so now I would try something with the OSDK and after make it for my oric 1 by modifing the value.

For the demo, I will try to make something, but I can help you for it without any problem even if I am really on the Oric demo scene and demo scene too :wink:
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

Hi everyone.

After some work I've made my first "demo" on Oric (also my first on any system). It's an atmos demo.

It's without music except a explode sound.

What do you think about it?
Attachments
8BitsInvasion.tap
(11.88 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Cool! I like the color swipe effect, it'd be neat to see a full game use this somehow in its art as a feature .. nice work! Assembly/Basic/C?
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

I've work in C and make my picture with pictconv with option -f2 -d0 -o4.

Thanks for your comment in particular "cool!" :P
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Funny :)
Spocky
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Spocky »

Thanks for your support.

I will try to make a bigger demo with music and send it before the end of the year :D
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

funny stuff