It's not an oric demo but ..

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
jede
Flying Officer

It's not an oric demo but ..

Post by jede »

Hello,

I don't know if some oricians have a look to others 8 bits machines. There is an interesting demo on CPC.

It's not a demo from usual cpc sceners. This demo group shows that cpc demoes released are a big joke when you see cpc hardware.

This group shows that CPC is the best 8 Bits computer for demo.

I think also that CPC is the best 8 bits computer :

Advantages
* Z80 (3,3 Mhz) a lot more powerful than 6502. The equivalent is the 65C816 (but 65C816 has less internals registers)
* Z80 has 16 bits registers
* Can scroll a lot of things with 0% CPU (video chip can play with TV Emission Gun)
* can move vectors for video ram

Disadvantage
* Video ram is not linear, when you reach the end of the line, the next byte is 8 lines belows the current line (Electronic Video chip had been hacked, there is this matter)
* No text mode
* No hardware sprites (except for CPC+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJosZfm560Q
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

While the Batman Forever demo is excellent, I'm not sure I agree with all your points...
This group shows that CPC is the best 8 Bits computer for demo.
It depends what you want. From a coders perspective, some might consider it not challenging enough. I personally think the Commodore +4, Apple II GS, and Sam Coupe offer just as much potential for untapped 8 bit awesomeness (more so in some ways). Don't get me wrong, the CPC is great, but it I wouldn't say it was "the best 8 bit".
* Z80 (3,3 Mhz) a lot more powerful than 6502. The equivalent is the 65C816 (but 65C816 has less internals registers)
I wrote Z80 code for a living for around 5 or 6 years. I also know a thing or two about 6502 coding. A 3.3mhz Z80 is not "a lot more powerful" than a 1mhz 6502. Its a bit faster, but not much at all. Sure it has more registers, but when programmed carefully, the 6502 does more per mhz :)
* Can scroll a lot of things with 0% CPU (video chip can play with TV Emission Gun)
Although you can scroll stuff for demo effects, for scrolling games the CPC is pretty terrible. The C64 is far better at smooth scrolling, especially for games since you can overlay hardware sprites over the scrolling bg.

The CPC+ is a big improvement, though.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Would be kind of cool to have people coming from other machines doing some kick ass Oric demo.

I would enjoy having my ass kicked on the Oric :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Well, this is true. The CPC demo scene never really pushed the hw, and it took outsiders to really show what it can do.

The Oric has an even smaller scene! But you do great work on it, DBug ;-)