Solskogen 2010

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
Dbug
Site Admin

Solskogen 2010

Post by Dbug »

Tomorrow starts the solskogen 2010 demo party:
http://solskogen.demoscene.no/

Assuming I survive the next night and feel well enough to go to the party, I will be there and will participate to the oldskool compo with an Oric prod.

Don't get too excited, it's mostly recycled/polished material, just that it was never released in an official demo scene way, so normally after this it will be one more Oric prod on pouet.net :)

I don't plan to win anything, except perhaps the sympathy of the public, but does not hurt to have a bit of advertisement for the Oric :)

I will bring with me also Oricutron, and the latests achievements from Twilighte and Chema for who wants to play :)
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Great news Dbug :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Made the second place at the oldskool compo (few points in front a c64 intro - but that was the guy's first attempt at C64 coding; so no room for self congratulation :) )

Can download the intro here:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=55371

There's also a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZBZFiXnM3s

Hope you like it (it's just a remixed/extended version of the original Space 1999 game intro)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

He he... really nice intro Dbug. Glad yo hear you could finaly show it at the party, and that you did not die in the process :)

More visibility for our little machine, and for new games...

Will we have a similar preview for 1337? Maybe before the real intro and the release?

:)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I added the full source code to the SVN repository:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... s/trailer/

For 1337, I was thinking about it yesterday, and I think what I need is some more background information. The pilote is apparently fresh from the school, and starts in Lave, but what is his story, how did we reach this current universe with colonized planets, is it our universe in the future (when?) or some random imagined universe?

Considering now we have a 3d engine, it would make sense that I reuse some parts of it for the intro :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

BTW Chema, the music you're using for 1337 really rings a bell, but what is it taken from? I can't remember!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

1492, conquest of paradise by Vangelis.
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Congrats Dbug, love the Demo :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks.
Nice demo indeed Dbug. Did the credits to Chema and other contributors make it into the game, or did you create them specifically for this demo?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

Being a fan of Space 1999 (first season) I love it, too bad, its too short Mr Cadburry :)
Dbug wrote:Thanks :)
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Sorry for not having answered to this before... I have been quite busy lately.

About the intro for 1337, we will deal with details by email, but a couple of things here:

- We can work out the story as we like. The Elite Universe is completely invented, so could be a long time ago in a galaxy far far away :)

- The date... well, we know we have to invent somehting for 1337 (the number), so it could well be the year 1337 after the creation of the Galactic Cooperative of Worlds (GalCo, as it appears in the manual... there is a nice introduction there, you can have a look at it ;) )

- We can work out a story, maybe a bit after the original Elite, where the spacestations are no more in service, where the war with the Thargoid is at a turning point, with all the Galactic Navy effectives protecting the border of the colonized 8 galaxies, or something like that, so the order in the inner systems is kept by the local police, and some Elite pilots which are recruited here and there for specific purposes.

- I had in mind to build a stripped-down version of the 3d engine (it will require a lot of memory anyway) to use in the intro. Intelligently mixing background graphics with planets, texts, etc... and some areas where a single (or two) ships move, could reduce the amount of CPU for double-buffering.

We'll talk about this by email, if you agree...

Cheers!
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Chema wrote:Sorry for not having answered to this before... I have been quite busy lately.

About the intro for 1337, we will deal with details by email, but a couple of things here:

- We can work out the story as we like. The Elite Universe is completely invented, so could be a long time ago in a galaxy far far away :)

- The date... well, we know we have to invent somehting for 1337 (the number), so it could well be the year 1337 after the creation of the Galactic Cooperative of Worlds (GalCo, as it appears in the manual... there is a nice introduction there, you can have a look at it ;) )

- We can work out a story, maybe a bit after the original Elite, where the spacestations are no more in service, where the war with the Thargoid is at a turning point, with all the Galactic Navy effectives protecting the border of the colonized 8 galaxies, or something like that, so the order in the inner systems is kept by the local police, and some Elite pilots which are recruited here and there for specific purposes.

- I had in mind to build a stripped-down version of the 3d engine (it will require a lot of memory anyway) to use in the intro. Intelligently mixing background graphics with planets, texts, etc... and some areas where a single (or two) ships move, could reduce the amount of CPU for double-buffering.

We'll talk about this by email, if you agree...

Cheers!
Sounds awesome!!