Oric intro by Twilighte

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
Dbug
Site Admin

Oric intro by Twilighte

Post by Dbug »

Ok, it's an old one (2004), but I asked him if I could put it online.

This one features a nice C64 SID player:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24762

Don't hesitate to comment and thumb up if you like it :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Technically, an Oric SID player was done before or around 1990. The Hubbard and Monty tracks were (i believe) SID tracks replayed on Orics 6502. They are shown on my site here (Sorry for the crappy midi tune) but they are not currently downloadable :(

http://twilighte.oric.org/twinew/demos.htm

Unfortunately i have no information were they originate from. :evil:
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

A bit off-topic, but Aleksi Eeben has today released a VIC-20 SID emulator, as it seems generating samples on the fly. That means we know of SID emulators for AY chips (Oric, Spectrum, Amstrad), POKEY (Atari 8-bit) and VIC-I (VIC-20), as well as modern emulators for PCs and likewise.
Anders Carlsson
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Technically, the OSID or Oric SID Player is more accurate than the Hubbard or Monty musics. OSID lets the original musicians code run on the Oric, and just reads from the virtual SID footprint the sound registers and converts them to AY.
Both Hubbard and Monty are lashes, the original music is possibly used but the players are not the original musicians.
To this end, emulating the actual SID chip behaviour for waveforms (like the VIC-20 player) and even ADSR is beyond the scope of my SID player. Most of the remaining cpu power (after the original code is run) is consumed converting the SID register data to AY register data. I emulated the advanced SID modulation and synchro bits of the SID using the envelope generator of the AY.

Technically it is possible to do the same as the VIC-20 and generate 'on-the-fly' samples emulating the pulse width control and dynamic ADSR so well known on the SID. But the players would have to be completely rewritten and this would be difficult (not knowing the Rob Hubbard music format). :P
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

I see that Aleksi himself has joined the forum and talked with Dbug about this routine.
Anders Carlsson