Oric Pitfall :)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Oric Pitfall :)

Post by peacer »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkKnurzgrQ

I wish I could announce that I made an Oric based Pitfall game which is a classic Atari 2600 game but it is only a demo just made for fun.

I've found full program listing and data of original pitfall game and tried to create an oric screen using original game graphics, sound effect data and screen.

The program just "shows" a sample screen from the game, and plays in-game sound effects randomly..

Maybe this could give someone an enthusiasm to produce a real "Oric pitfall" game. This could be me but it looks like its beyond my basic skills and needs too much machine coding.

Hope you like it :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Oric Pitfall :)

Post by ibisum »

Its a nice idea, and to be honest it seems to me that you almost got the first level done. ;)

Seems to me that if .DSK is used as the target format, then all the screens can just be carted along as dumps, with just a bare minimum of sprite-handling routines to write. Would be nice to have a proper rope-swing, I remember there being some assembly demo from a magazine in the 80's that showed the Oric could get lissajous if it wanted to..
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I can remake the whole game Under basic for sure. But it is impossible to do this with enough speed. Even the given video is 2x speed :)

My machine coding ability is not enough to handle everything such as sprites and movements .

Sorry about my english but what do you mean by"lissajous" ? swinging ivy / rope?

Under disc enviroment, its easy to create and store each screen and call them randomly. In given example, I get screen capture from the original game. Then I converted it to Oric by Simon's pchires utility and colour it under emulator by Twilighte's Hide.

http://puu.sh/4PdmL.png

This is official map of the original game. Actually there're not much different screens. Drawing some 3-5 screen and calling them randomly from the disk solves the screen drawing stage.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I actually like the audio :)
It sounds very 'punchy' compared to the usual oric games!
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Sounds are completely from original data. But values were incompatible to oric sound. I had to modify them to get sounds "look alike" the original game.

Sound data was like this in original pitfall code.

SoundTab:
.byte $13, $13, $13, $13, $13, $13, $13, $09, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b
.byte $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $09, $0b, $09, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $0b, $8b, $06
.byte $04, $03, $02, $84
.byte $13, $13, $0e, $0b, $09, $09, $09, $0b, $09, $09, $09, $89
.byte $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1a, $1a, $19, $19, $19, $19, $19
.byte $19, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $1d, $14, $15, $14, $15, $14, $15, $14, $15, $14, $15
.byte $14, $95
.byte $18, $19, $1a, $1b, $1c, $1d, $1e, $9f

I modified these values by multiplying 30x and use with SOUND command with little effects :) Maybe a little fine tuning is still necessary.

This video is only sound part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_cDXqhdYRc