Tansoft releases (inlay colour)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Tansoft releases (inlay colour)

Post by Symoon »

Hi all,
I'm in possession of 2 versions of "Oric multigames 1" by Tansoft. I suspect this game is a very early release (copyright 1983, recorded in slow mode...)
One has the classical Oric-1 look (computer with blue and dark background, like on the Oric-1 box). The other has the same picture, but in yellow. See:
ImageImage

The same goes for other games that had an alternate green inlay (Oric Forth), red (Zodiac) or grey (Oric Flight). The tape inside also has the same colour, so I don't think it's a printing mistake. The programs are exactly the same.

Does anyone know why those "colour versions" existed? Was it just some kind of revamping, or for instance a special bundle that were given with Orics... ?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Tansoft releases (inlay colour)

Post by ibisum »

I recall, in Australia anyway, that you could order the Oric-1 with a set of cassettes, or choose 2 out of the 5 selections .. and from what I recall seeing of the Oric-1 distribution center when I visited it in 1983, the tape colors were just to make it easy to sort the inventory ..
dave3622
Flying Officer

Re: Tansoft releases (inlay colour)

Post by dave3622 »

Interesting question Symoon, I have several of the Tansoft cassettes in various colours myself and often wondered. It appears that ibisum may have given us the answer though :)

edit, forgot to add that I think the non-blue inlays look awful and almost like they have been duplicated by an amateur pirate.