FreeCellOric

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

FreeCellOric

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
just to let you know that I'm still working on my FreeCell minigame for the Oric.

The game is technically already playable, but there are some bugs and issues here and there, and I still try to get it as small as I can possibly get it down.
Right now the game is 3745 bytes uncompressed, including unlimited undo/redo, selection of the game by entering a number of using random selection.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: FreeCellOric

Post by Dbug »

Still working on it, the current version of the game is now 2941 bytes compressed.
Not sure how small I can get it :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Looking forward to playing it!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

My poor executable packer has given up: The size of the compressed data plus the size of the decompression routine now exceeds the original size.
I finally took the time to test Exomizer (one of the best (the best?) C64 executable packers), the result is nice: FreeCellOric is now 2428 bytes long :)

Only 380 bytes to go...
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Could you explain how the compression works? Is it just compressing the executable or is it in-game compression? I'm thinking of maybe using a routine in my chess game where I could compress the graphic tiles and decompress them them to a scratch area when required. This might leave room for more powerful AI and other features.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Both are possible.
In the case of FreeCellOric it's the whole executable which is compressed and then decompressed after loading.
But it's perfectly possible to have a non compressed executable which contain some compressed graphics that get decompressed on demand, it's a matter of context.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

2394 bytes