1337 feedback and review thread

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

D'oh! I guess I missed that rather important detail. Shoot. Its about the disk format, is it, or .. something else Telestrat'ish? I do have the ATMOS cart, though ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

With the Rom Atmos cartridge it should work, please tell us if it works or not :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It is about the Telestrat hardware, I think. First of all the way overlay is selected (you switch banks through the second VIA instead of activating overlay ram), but also I think it won't boot sedoric.

If you boot StartSed, Fabrice told me that there are many changes, such as unability to load the game from $500 and upwards (which is done in 1337 and Space:1999), but I guess the way I access the disk (sector based and using page 3 instead of routines in page 4 - which is used by the game) would not work either.

Fabrice told me that if you put the stratoric cartridge you could boot sedoric and have nearly an ATMOS+Microdisc system (appart from the overlay thingy), but under Euphoric, I have not been able to boot with stratoric.

Cheers
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Okay I don't have the Stratsed cart, alas .. and no other disks to play with at the moment. Got a lot to learn here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Then I guess I should check what we are doing in our demos, because they all (except the VIP3) work perfectly on Oric 1/Atmos/Telestrat.
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi, there is a very odd bug in the game (v1.02) which seems to be quite random, or at least I can't seem to find the exact conditions that cause it. What's happening is that my cargo bay is increasing in size without me buying a large cargo bay. First, I can store 20T of goods, then 30T and I'm currently upto 40T.

The only things I trade are food, slaves, narcotics, firearms and if I can buy at 10.x credits, minerals. Has anyone else spotted this bug? Why is it happening?

Regards,

Shaun.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I think I solved it, but need further testing.

This was a hard one to find. I hope there are not more severe bugs around, so I can release v 1.1 soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to Shaun for the exahustive testing.
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Chema wrote:I think I solved it, but need further testing.

This was a hard one to find. I hope there are not more severe bugs around, so I can release v 1.1 soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to Shaun for the exahustive testing.
No problems. Elite is the sort of game that can consume my real life, as 1337 has. At least my review should be good too, but I won't review it until you've solved all of the major bugs.

Regards,

Shaun.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

No time to play these days but posted more ads, in alt.fan.elite and another forum but I forgot ;-)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Interview at GAMOPAT:

http://www.gamopat.com/article-intervie ... 85070.html

BTW guys, testers have not found more bugs (yet) so I guess it is time to resume the downloading with the new version.

Please make sure you play version 1.10 (the version appears for a small time at booting).

The download will be resumed soon.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Shaun Bebbington has just emailed me to tell that 1337 was featured in this week's Micro Mart magazine (I think number 1125, released 23rd September).

I am trying to arrange a way to get a copy, and, at least, read his review (I hope the review is not too bad, despite the bugs of the first version).

It also means that he did not found any other severe bug, so version 1.10 seems to be stable.
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Chema wrote:Shaun Bebbington has just emailed me to tell that 1337 was featured in this week's Micro Mart magazine (I think number 1125, released 23rd September).

I am trying to arrange a way to get a copy, and, at least, read his review (I hope the review is not too bad, despite the bugs of the first version).

It also means that he did not found any other severe bug, so version 1.10 seems to be stable.
It's not so much a review as a news story with screen shots of the impressive intro.

Regards,

Shaun.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi guys!

Thanks to Fabrice, who seems to be the only one being able to run 1337 on real hardware, we have spotted a minor bug in the game, and also an error in the emulators (both Euphoric and Oriculator).

It seems that in both emulators the behaviour of bit 6 in register 7 (direction of the data port: either read or write) in the AY chip is not correctly emulated. In the code, this bit was being set to 0, thus preventing the keyboard to be correctly read in the real machine. In Euphoric the state of this bit is ignored, that is why I did not spot this error before.

There is also another effect Fabrice found out testing the keyboard routine while trying to find out what was going on. This is related to the circuitry and results in detection of keys that are not really pressed when there are several simultaneous keypresses...

It is difficult to explain, so I will refrain to dig into it here.

I will raise the issue in Oriculator as soon as I can, and also release a new version of 1337 with this minor bug corrected.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D Chema , your second game is marvellous, I have sevral hours of flight with the Cobra MKIII and i begin to be really dangerous for other pilots :lol: but at the 3rd mission i cannot escape the Viper Police squad embush

ARRRGH ... :wink:

a programmable joystick or pad is possible ? if have only 10 fingers :D

is it possible to use Xpadder like in the game"tombeau d'axa..."

http://xpadder.com/
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Just tested 1337 v1.10 on a real Oric-1 and it seems the keyboard doesn't respond.
I'm going out now, so more tomorrow (will test on Atmoses and on a 2nd Oric-1 if the disk drive works on it).

That's really great to watch it run on a real machine anyway. Always brings the same thoughts: ah, if we had this 25 years ago ;-)

EDIT: ok, no panic I guess. Had time to test on the other Oric-1 and on one Atmos, same behaviour. Here's the exact situation: I can press ESC during the demo, Y or N to launch the tutorial, then no keys respond anymore. I guess it's my disk copy that is faulty, but I can't make another one here. Will have to try again in a few weeks...