Stormlord

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Cristian
1st Star Corporal

Post by Cristian »

Really Awesome!!

But the game can't work on real ORIC1.

I've load wav file into my Oric1 (not Atmos) and the game freeze while the "PRESS FIRE TO CONTINUE" text is flashing. Whit Euphoric there is the same problem as the real Oric1.

Anyone has load Stormlord into real Oric1 without problem?

Really sorry for my bad english (I'm Italian).

Thanks
Regards
Cristian
+-------------------------+
|REGARDS FROM |
|ST@FF |
|WWW.IOCERO.COM |
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You would need Twilighte (the author) to answer this, but most likely he is making use of ROM routines which are just ATMOS-compatible?

That would make it impossible to run on an Oric-1.

Not sure if he is using C (or the C library) with the OSDK, but IIRC this development kit relies on ATMOS rom only :(
Cristian
1st Star Corporal

Post by Cristian »

Chema wrote:You would need Twilighte (the author) to answer this, but most likely he is making use of ROM routines which are just ATMOS-compatible?

That would make it impossible to run on an Oric-1.

Not sure if he is using C (or the C library) with the OSDK, but IIRC this development kit relies on ATMOS rom only :(
Thanks Chema for your answer,
at Stormlord ufficial site I read:

This includes the Oric 1, Oric Atmos, and Oric Telestrat. OSDK is not compatible with the first, original, machine in the Oric range (the Microtan 65).

so i've supposed Oric 1 compatibility.

Please Twilighte, can you say someting about that?

Really Thanks for your Oric programming efforts!

Regards
Ciao
Cristian
|REGARDS FROM |
|ST@FF |
|WWW.IOCERO.COM |
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yeah, I think it is supposed to be Oric-1 compatible. Twilighte told me that he was not using the rom for anything (something I should have supposed, I refrain from using it too). But the game hangs with the same symptoms as you describe when using an emulator with the 1.0 rom (Oric-1).

The game asks you to fire to start (where the game autodetects your joystick if any) and when you press fire it halts.

He is currently busy with many other projects currently, so I would not expect him to look into this anytime soon... After all I think it is of not much importance, except for those users that want to play the game on a real machine and only have an Oric-1 available.

BTW, if that is the case, do you know it is quite easy to upgrade to the ATMOS rom? I did not do it myself, but it only requires to flash an EPROM with any of the images available and replace it in your oric (it is socketed, so no problem with that).
Cristian
1st Star Corporal

Post by Cristian »

Chema wrote:... After all I think it is of not much importance, except for those users that want to play the game on a real machine and only have an Oric-1 available.

BTW, if that is the case, do you know it is quite easy to upgrade to the ATMOS rom? I did not do it myself, but it only requires to flash an EPROM with any of the images available and replace it in your oric (it is socketed, so no problem with that).
I'm an Oric1 fanatic and it's pleasure for me play with real machine. 8)

Stormlord is a killer application for my favorite 8Bit micro and it's a dream for me see the program run and play it on real Oric1 (feel like '80 era).

Yes, I know the EPROM upgrade procedure but i don't want use this trick on Oric1 for fundamentalist reasons. I prefer buy an Atmos if I find one.

Hope to see a patch for Oric1 in future... :wink:
|REGARDS FROM |
|ST@FF |
|WWW.IOCERO.COM |
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Cristian wrote:Really Awesome!!

But the game can't work on real ORIC1.
EEEK! err.. um.. hmm, i see exactly what the problem is. Damn kill me for not checking this before :(
Stormlord does NOT use ROM routines at all, however it does intercept the IRQ vector in Page 2 in order run its IRQ routine to read the keyboard and play sound.
Except Oric1 uses $0228 for vector and not $0244 as on Atmos

I could write an elaborate routine to detect machine but i think the best solution is to patch the existing for a separate Oric-1 version :p

Fortunately its the only Oric-1 specific thing i don't currently do, but will definately remember in the future. Immense Apologies Cristian.

I tried to test this patched game but i just got so friggin annoyed with Oricutron tonight i'll leave it to someone else to try..

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/forum/ ... -oric1.tap

I hope we can get Dbug to add it to the stormlord website if it works :p
Cristian wrote:Yes, I know the EPROM upgrade procedure but i don't want use this trick on Oric1 for fundamentalist reasons.
Absolutely Cristian, its why i made it for tape. Its like the majority of real oric users are tape based only. Its a fundamental thing for sure, but only when i get it right :/
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dead link Twilighte? I get a file not found...
xxl
Private

Post by xxl »

i think

real oric:
lda #$44
sta $229
lda #$6d
sta $22a

oricutron 0.7 (oric 1)

mm $229 $44
mm $22a $6d

do the job for Oric1.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I updated the http://stormlord.defence-force.org/ page with the link to the Oric 1 version.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Anyone tested the new Oric-1 version?
It crashed here when I tried it with Euphoric.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Same with Oricutron 0.7... loads partially the initial screen with garbage at the bottom and crashes executing code in page 2:

Code: Select all

228 adc ($6d),y
22a cpx $304c
22d $f4 (???)
22e ora ($00,x)
230 rti
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I have the feeling that the version you posted was not the correct one, because it could not have possibly worked.

I compared the two version with a diff program, and you changed the two values at the offset 6839 and 683E from 45/46 to 29/29.

I tried to replace them by 29/2A, and it still crashes.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Actually I fixed it, just that for some reason it crashed in Oricutron 0.6 :)
Working fine in Euphoric :)

Going to update the site now :)

Twilighte: I suggest that you make an Atmos/Oric 1 compatible version by using the values stored in FFFE/FFFF to find the location of the irq handler. You can just use the room you used for the hidden text messages ;)
Last edited by Dbug on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Could somebody try and tell me if it works?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It does! At least on oricutron 0.7!

Well done Dbug!