O-Thrust

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Nox wrote:You are right. It's an error. But I cannot find it, somewhere I must access zeropage 0 directly
(without using a label), and searching the sourcecode for "0" is not a fun thing...
If I start a new project I will take more time for planning before starting to code...
99% of the time, these kind of errors are due to typing something like

Code: Select all

lda 0
instead of

Code: Select all

lda #0

For what I read, most probably trying to initializa a counter to zero, and writting something like ldy 0 instead.

Just in case it rings bells...
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

Nox wrote: @Dbug
You are right. It's an error. But I cannot find it, somewhere I must access zeropage 0 directly
(without using a label), and searching the sourcecode for "0" is not a fun thing...
If I start a new project I will take more time for planning before starting to code...

load the game in MESS with debug enabled and then set a watchpoint on $0000
MAME & MESS are great for code hacking. 8)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

oricutrons debugger can set breakpoints for memory access as well.
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Excellent! Just downloaded this, most impressive. I've got to level 2 and noticed that it only just gives you enough fuel to get the refill - how evil.

Edit: This is easier than other Thrust-alike games I've played. If you can get hold of Micro Mart, keep a look out for this in a near-future issue.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Up to Tronga - level four. This level *is* evil. My tip would be the "not too much thrust" rule for people who might still be struggling. Anyone completed this yet?

Regards,

Shaun.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Personally I did not manage to pass the second screen...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Its too hard for me, I can't get past the first screen, seriously ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Then I guess the game needs some kind of difficulty level selection.
The harder, the more the score multiplier is, so trying to play hard is rewarding with higher scores.

Looks doable?
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Dbug wrote:Then I guess the game needs some kind of difficulty level selection.
The harder, the more the score multiplier is, so trying to play hard is rewarding with higher scores.

Looks doable?
I can't believe people are asking this ;-)

O-Thrust is seriously the easiest Thrust-variant I've ever played. It took me all of ten minutes to learn the controls - particularly how the thrust affects the ship's movement - and about an hour or so to get to level five when things really start to get difficult.

My suggestion wouldn't be a difficulty setting, but for you guys to play the original on the Beeb or C64, and then try the Atari 2600 remake as well as the Thrust-alike and near-impossible Blizzard's Rift by Jonathan Cauldwell for the Speccy. If you can get anywhere on the above, O-Thrust will be a breeze, seriously.

Regards,

Shaun.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, I managed to reach level 3 then got stuck here for hours and finally stopped playing.
Not that I dislike the game or was angry or willing to have easy levels all the way, it's just that IMHO, for unexperienced players of Thrust games, the difficulty becomes very hard very fast, thus a bit discouraging.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I like to think I have patience and chops for most video games, especially the twitch variety, but I have to confess that I can't even get off the ground and stay off the ground without crashing like a madman. Sorry, but I'm just not finding the 'sweet spot' where this game is playable for me! :O
Shaun_B
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Shaun_B »

Symoon wrote:Well, I managed to reach level 3 then got stuck here for hours and finally stopped playing.
Not that I dislike the game or was angry or willing to have easy levels all the way, it's just that IMHO, for unexperienced players of Thrust games, the difficulty becomes very hard very fast, thus a bit discouraging.
To balance that though, I think there are only 10 levels or so. I was stuck on level five before I had to stop playing to do other stuff.

The only way to make things easier would be no gravity perhaps, but then it might become something different and it wouldn't necessarily mean that just because people can get further into the game without gravity could then master it with.

Regards,

Shaun.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Since the game was released, would you mind releasing the source code on the SVN server?

If you want, I can also add a page for the game on defence-force along with games from Chema and Twilighte :)