Picross game

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Is it really a problem if the number have different colors on the various lines ?

If you don't change the paper and the ink on each vertical line, and just use normal/inverse/normal/inverse, you will get your two paper colors, and the corresponding inverted paper color.

Let say you want BLUE and CYAN bands. That's colors 4 and 6. The inverted colors for 4 is 3 (YELLOW), and 1 (RED).
This means you can have BLUE/YELLOW and CYAN/RED without ever changing an attribute (ie: just playing with the inverted bit).

Now you will tell me "Yes, but I also need to highlight the line currently selected by the player, and I can't insert an attribute color change for the vertical lines".

And this is correct.

But then you can use the second level trick, which is to reverse the reverse :)

If you display normaly, you can have: YELLOW on BLUE
If you invert the video, you get RED on CYAN
But if you do a XOR %00111111, you get also BLUE on YELLOW and CYAN on RED.

This may or may not help you, but looks good so far, keep up the good work :D
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Dbug wrote:Is it really a problem if the number have different colors on the various lines ?

If you don't change the paper and the ink on each vertical line, and just use normal/inverse/normal/inverse, you will get your two paper colors, and the corresponding inverted paper color.

Let say you want BLUE and CYAN bands. That's colors 4 and 6. The inverted colors for 4 is 3 (YELLOW), and 1 (RED).
This means you can have BLUE/YELLOW and CYAN/RED without ever changing an attribute (ie: just playing with the inverted bit).

Now you will tell me "Yes, but I also need to highlight the line currently selected by the player, and I can't insert an attribute color change for the vertical lines".

And this is correct.

But then you can use the second level trick, which is to reverse the reverse :)

If you display normaly, you can have: YELLOW on BLUE
If you invert the video, you get RED on CYAN
But if you do a XOR %00111111, you get also BLUE on YELLOW and CYAN on RED.

This may or may not help you, but looks good so far, keep up the good work :D
I am working on this and studying the possibilities... I am wondering if changing so many bytes will be practical, I mean in a line there will be (16+8)*6=144 bytes where I need to invert and I have to do the same to the vertical line that will double the amount of the bytes, 288. Each time the player moves over the board I will have to restore the previous position 288 bytes and inverse the new 288 bytes :P Perhaps this will be ok I haven't tried it yet.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

From a purely CPU point of view, you can transfer without any problem at least one kilobyte of data while still staying at 50fps, even with a very crappy routine.

If it ever become a performance issue, you can count on a number of people here helping to get this "invert 288 bytes" routine fast enough :D
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Dbug wrote:From a purely CPU point of view, you can transfer without any problem at least one kilobyte of data while still staying at 50fps, even with a very crappy routine.

If it ever become a performance issue, you can count on a number of people here helping to get this "invert 288 bytes" routine fast enough :D
Great :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Even i didn't know that! :P
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Did some more, but I am not happy with the attributes :lol:

Next: read keyboard and move that thing :o

Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Added:
- Read Keyboard routine;
- Move target.

Next:

-Fix flicker when moving target
-Add Time count down
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Finaly I am back to this...

Log
- Instead of building the screen with a routine, I have used HIDE(Thank you Twi) and compacted the screen, takes 1.7Kb.

I have a problem with the movement of the target, althought it moves quite well it flickers a lot, any ideas on how to fix this?

Next:

-IRQ

(Will add a pic later on, the website I use for hosting is in maintenance now)

:wink:
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

The picture

By sanmes at 2010-01-22

Comments are welcome
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I really like the OriCross logo :)
Very stylish.
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Thank you Dbug, I want to add some gfx to the lower right area... will have to see what I will do about it, I am not that great with gfx :P

Thank you also for the help with. As you told me to do, I am using now a backbuffer where I draw all before copying its contents to the screen. This reduced the flicker dramatically, barely noticeable now. I think sooner or later I will have to move to disk as memory will be tight if I want to add a fair number of levels.

I need to work on a presentation/menu screen.....

I changed the colours a bit and added that little screen where the picture of the level will be displayed once the player finishes it:

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

It looks really fantastic!

It is very exciting to see a good development activity :)

Keep on the good work!

Cheers
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Thank you Chema, it is great to have input on what one is doing :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

This is looking really nice - any recent updates by chance?
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

ibisum wrote:This is looking really nice - any recent updates by chance?
It has been on hold, looking for some incentive, I got some now :D

Also what has hindered the development is that I can't get oricutron to work in mu linux box. I don't rather not use euphoric. oricutron works under Wine but I am picky what can I do.... :wink: