Transferring Tyrann UK

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Transferring Tyrann UK

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

Thanks to Dave, Waskol and I now have WAV files of Tyrann, UK version. Next step: a TAP file.

I gave it a try today, here's the problem:
- the program is protected, a TAP file can't be done without going in the code and cracking the special loading routines
- so in short-term, the only solution for Euphoric is to produce a WAV file, which can be done on PC only. Problem: the tools don't like the WAV file Dave sent us. It loads fine on a real Oric, but has errors using the transfer tools.

What we'd need here is a ROM that loads tapes on a real Oric, and immediately sends the data back to the output tape, with a brand new signal. Not sure this exists...

Or maybe working the signal of the WAV file Dave sent us, which I didn't so far.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

I cannot succeed to load it on my real oric...
I will try another way.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

does it load in one go and then stop, or does it load extra stuff after a while?

if it's a single load then it should be easy.
try poke$1a,$96
then load it and hit reset - or get out a monitor like the one from pss.

i'v only found 1 game that was hard to do over - damsel in distress.
probably something to do with the fact that the loader played music adding to the complexity of the code.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

You mean POKE#1A,96 ?
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

highwayman wrote:does it load in one go and then stop, or does it load extra stuff after a while?
Nope it loads bad stuff from the start.
I used my PC as a tape player, and the real Oric tries to load it. But it's all garbage from the start.

I have to find a mean (and time) to convert it to .tap before (a lot of programming indead !) and convert it back to a clean wav file.

May be I can manage to do it with euphoric and a few tape copy utilities designed for Oric.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

Dbug wrote:You mean POKE#1A,96 ?
yes, well spotted - it's been a while :)

putting RTS before the jump address everybody patches is so simple but usually works.

i'v seen comercial code and magazines tell people to doke#1b,deek(#fffc)
or something like that more times than i can count - but they always overlooked making sure that what they are writing is still a JMP and not patched to an RTS.
:)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yup, first instruction of the program, in line 0, to make sure you can't CTRL+C before it executed. (If you put it in line 1 you can break before it runs)

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:Yup, first instruction of the program, in line 0, to make sure you can't CTRL+C before it executed. (If you put it in line 1 you can break before it runs)

Hehe... yeah. I remember to add a line 0 with an END and then cload"",j

I think I did that to access the code of The Kilburn Encounter and find out its secrets... I also made something I don't remember to save the game to tape (STORE and RECALL a couple of arrays, if I am right).
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I only worked the side A.
The program is in 4 parts.
1st one is the classic ROM 1.1 patch, 2nd must be the specific loading routines, then 3rd and 4th parts that won't load with a CLOAD.

There are a few errors on PC conversion, but it seems I have managed to load them correctly on a real Oric.
So, I have the 2 first programs as TAP files, that are probably error-free.

Didn't have time to carry on yet.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, so it's like the "Fer d'Amnukor", it comes with a custom loader.
Crap ;p