Pulsoids

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Pulsoids

Post by Symoon »

One Atari Sector forum, Vyper68 asked for a TAP version of Pulsoids.

On Oric.org 18-January-2009, Twilighte claimed that there was no TAP version of the game:
"There is still no Tape version of this game. I will eventually compile one since it is feasable. :)"

I found files in his archives sent by his family. They were created in 2002, just had to append them together and test: it seems to work fine! I have no idea why Twilighte didn't release it as a TAP file, maybe there are some hidden bugs. Game instructions page (Word file) has cassette loading instructions. I also recall he had asked Oricians for a loading screen, maybe he was not happy with the one he made. I think I was the only one giving a try, a poor attempt that I found back in his French Pulsoids version folder and I put here as [PULSPRES.TAP] - but kept Twilighte's nice loading screen for the French version.

I decided to put this TAP version up on Oric.org, as it has been asked for several times and it makes no sense keeping it sleeping on a hard drive.
https://www.oric.org/software/pulsoids-1515.html go to STUFF section (bottom of the page)

A few things:
- the game does not run on Oric-1 (Oric.org corrected)
- I didn't test extensively, so bug reports are welcome
- the loading screen has a nice trick discussed on another thread here
- the game crashes on some computers but works fine on others (IIRC it's a sound problem with some 6522 chips)
- the sound is very loud! And can only be switched off.

Fun: inside the file, one can read: "THIS IS TWILIGHTE CODE... BUILT TO CONFUSE THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF YOU!".
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Pulsoids

Post by ibisum »

If I remember correctly, this was the reason he hadn't released a TAP file yet:

>- the game does not run on Oric-1 (Oric.org corrected)

.. I seem to have a foggy memory of him wanting to fix that before he made a general-release TAP ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Taht's possible... But actually the DSK versions crashes too on Oric-1!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Interesting, that would mean that the game is dependent on some system variables?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I have no idea, maybe it has something to do with sound generation? I have no idea if there are some ROM calls.