Page 2 of 2

Re: Oric Kong converted in C, need beta test (and graphist !)

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 pm
by Dbug
At one moment, when DBug wrote here (see his post) and told me that keyboard tempo was a bad thing, I changed the code in order to use peek(#208) instead of the key$ facility : bad idea. You were pressing a key, and you were falling from the building at the other side of the screen in fraction of a second.
I did not mean to use peek instead of what you were using.

The delay between repeat, and the delay before repeat, are two values in page two that can be used to control keyboard handling.

In a game you want a faster repeat value, and the initial delay should be identical to the other one.

Check in your manual for values 24E and 24F

Re: Oric Kong converted in C, need beta test (and graphist !)

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:58 pm
by waskol
Dbug wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 pm
At one moment, when DBug wrote here (see his post) and told me that keyboard tempo was a bad thing, I changed the code in order to use peek(#208) instead of the key$ facility : bad idea. You were pressing a key, and you were falling from the building at the other side of the screen in fraction of a second.
I did not mean to use peek instead of what you were using.

The delay between repeat, and the delay before repeat, are two values in page two that can be used to control keyboard handling.

In a game you want a faster repeat value, and the initial delay should be identical to the other one.

Check in your manual for values 24E and 24F
It's been a long time since I code on an Oric, and at first I did not remember those two locations, that's why I introduced the peek thing.
When I saw it was not a good Idea, I documented myself, reading manuals carefully about keyboard handling.
But this is exactly what I am using in my code (in the how_high() procedure).
The default repetition values are set back for the input of the player name in the score update.
Anyway, thank you DBug, the game is really more playable with your advised piece of advice.
Here is the current code (lines 1204 and 1205) :

Code: Select all

	poke(0x24e,TEMPO_KB);
	poke(0x24f,TEMPO_KB);

Re: Oric Kong converted in C, need beta test (and graphist !)

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:37 am
by JamesD
Someone was "hacking" the Atarisoft version of Donkey Kong for the Apple II, so I ported the music player I wrote for the Oric to the Mockingboard, and created the background music for 3 of the tunes from the arcade game.

Here's the link to the player, and music data. The data will work with the Oric code, but the Mockingboard code has some improvements if I remember right. The code should only need the I/O changed to the definitions in the Oric version I posted to the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xibf8xu9zh3n5 ... e.zip?dl=0

Re: Oric Kong converted in C, need beta test (and graphist !)

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:36 pm
by waskol
Even if I don't intend to include this music on my project, I think it is interesting. May be you can fork my GitHub, ans try tout see how you can include your music. Why not.
For now, I spend a week in Paris and back home tomorrow. I will be able to have a closer look to your music at that time.

Re: Oric Kong converted in C, need beta test (and graphist !)

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 am
by JamesD
waskol wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:36 pm
Even if I don't intend to include this music on my project, I think it is interesting. May be you can fork my GitHub, ans try tout see how you can include your music. Why not.
For now, I spend a week in Paris and back home tomorrow. I will be able to have a closer look to your music at that time.
I probably won't do that, but the code could be turned into a link library for C.
The music data might need adjusted for differences in clock speed of the sound chips and timer, but I haven't verified that.
That could probably be done by a program instead of by hand.

Re: Oric Kong converted in C, need beta test (and graphist !)

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:28 pm
by waskol
OK, Even it is not absolutely perfect, I released it as a final version on my github.
Just grabded a few bytes (about 500), enough to add a metallic crush effect for the final level, using the jmp $FA86 technique (see this post

Thank you very much for all the pieces of advice you brought me. I learned a lot through this project.
May be one day, I will make a full asm conversion of this, who knows. :D