Upgrade Time: Encounter

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Upgrade Time: Encounter

Post by Symoon »

Impressive !
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Impressive indeed! And how easy looks drawing in your hands... :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

All the files are now on the SVN server, I'll add more when I'm done with each video:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... Encounter/
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Part 3 is now available, with the game now having the pictures in the top half of the screen.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I watched, enjoyed and liked your video!
With pictures this old games will look completely new.
I didn't saw only where you put the Easter Eggs ;).
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

*Very* nice work, DBug .. only comment I wish to make is that its somehow jarring to go from monochrome to colorized pictures .. I'm guessing its not a big issue, though.

Very inspiring to see you do this .. almost making me want to install Windows somewhere so I can have the same tooling as you! :)
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

Very interesting! Congrats!

These videos are a good illustration of the power of cross-development in general and OSDK in particular.
And for me, who know almost nothing about ORIC, it's a fun way to learn a lot of things!

More please!
Last edited by Scalex on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 am *Very* nice work, DBug .. only comment I wish to make is that its somehow jarring to go from monochrome to colorized pictures .. I'm guessing its not a big issue, though.
Well, it's mostly place holders.

In the end, all the pictures will be hand pixelated black and white, with consistent framing/perspective, having placeholders is important so you can have a sense of how it all work together.

Now, if you look at the previous timelapse video, it took me one hour to do just three pictures, not even at a final stage, and there are more than 40 of these to do, I just ran out of time.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

:shock: Impressive work Dbug. Could not yet view all the videos in detail, but your abilities as an artist are incredible...

It took me hours to make only the first ugly version of a room in Blake's 7... How I envy you artists! :lol:

This remembers me that I have to share the code of my room editor, just in case someone can take the important parts and make a decent drawing tool!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

It's like everything: It comes with practice :)

Regarding the Room editor, yes would be nice to share, as well as your script compiler, etc... so anyone can make other adventure games if they want!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

hehe, I tried to practice a lot, and still suck at it :)

Regarding sharing the sources of editor and compiler, you are totally right. If I did not do it yet it is simply because the source code is horrible (uncommented, ugly, full of kludges, a total disaster...) and because I am using Visual Studio Team Services, and I never looked at how to share it. Maybe you know how to do this...

I could simply clone the sources to the miniserve repository, but that won't keep them updated. And we are most probably going to change the compiler for the French version.

About others using the tools... well they are bugged and basically for my own use, so I am not sure others would like the 'user experience' :lol:
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

The fact that you created Blakes 7 with the tools is enough of a motivation to overlook any warts and thorns that might be within the code .. and personally, I'd be happy to help with those issues, if you decide to open source the toolset.

[off-topic bit removed..]
Last edited by ibisum on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:10 pmOne thing that I'm unsure of, is that if I'm using a redefined CHARMAP as a kind of primitive sprite system, how well I can then 'blit' these sprites in the HIRES section of the screen - so I guess I'll have to do some homework and see how chars can be optimally blitted into the the HIRES area.
If you want to use "charset" type of code in HIRES; the best is to stick to 6x6 pixels size "tiles":
- It's easier to make patterns the repeats nicely when the width and the height are identical
- 40*6 = 240, which is less by 256, meaning you can access all the scanlines from the same pointer, makes displaying a tile much faster code wise.

ibisum wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:10 pmI can start a new thread for this - but I thought I would ask you if you see any issues with this idea so far? Its a long shot, but I feel like I could get this game done for the Oric this year - I've always wanted to contribute back to you guys, having been sitting here and consuming all these lovely projects over the years ...
Yes, new thread in the same section is always a good idea.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I began watching in fragmented episodes.
Quite interesting to see an on-going work, and how fast you can change a font ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'll try to have an episode this weekend, but we pretty much switch to crunch mode, so if I do one, it's going to be something minor like moving the help system to something less intrusive, so nothing epic.