Upgrade Time: Encounter

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Upgrade Time: Encounter

Post by peacer »

ibisum wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Code: Select all

11006 PLAY1,I,I,6
And 11005 MUSIC 1,2,I,0

11000 FORI=1TO12
11005 MUSIC1,2,I,0
11006 PLAY1,I,I,6
11010 NEXT
11020 PLAY0,0,0,0
11030 WAITINT(RND(1)*35+4)
11040 GOTO11000

I believe this barking is quite nice
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ibisum, Peacer: nice additions guys.

If mixed wwith white noise, I find it better with
11005 MUSIC 1,3,I,0

It's sounding cool but is it possible to lower the white noise (and only white noise) volume a bit? I think it would be very good around half-volume, to let the music sound be heared a bit more.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, the volume is per channel, and you can decide on which channel(s) you decide to mix the noise on, so if you reserve one chan for the noise, you can have it at half volume for sure :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 pm Well, the volume is per channel, and you can decide on which channel(s) you decide to mix the noise on, so if you reserve one chan for the noise, you can have it at half volume for sure :)
Yes but in Basic you have to set the volume to 0 so the command PLAY produces its effect...
So maybe it's doable by programming the sound chip but not thru Basic commannds?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

There's the W8912 command, unfortunately that one uses A and X to pass parameters, instead of the PARAMS zone.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Part 6 is available, complete with the Dog sound :)

Hopefully the fact I was partying last night is not too obvious :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Awesome! :) Love these videos .. hope you will consider doing more in the future, on a variety of topics? Would be great to have one on assembly, for example ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm Awesome! :) Love these videos .. hope you will consider doing more in the future, on a variety of topics? Would be great to have one on assembly, for example ..
Something like that will probably happen, but the idea was to start by something not technically ultra challenging (for me or the audience) to at least get the knack on how to do videos (duration, style, content, audio/video, rythm, etc...)

Side note: On the Reddit post ( are you pretending to not see it's me who posted, just to drag more attention to the post, or did you not actually notice it was me ;) ?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I honestly didn't notice it was you until I went to watch todays video and realized I'd seen your Oric cabinet somewhere earlier in the day .. sorry about that confusion, was a pretty funny moment for me though .. I just completely ignored the username of the post, I was so excited to have some Oric-related materials in /r/retrobattlestations that I didn't bother to look before I hit reply. ;)

But yeah, I've edited my messages to acknowledge that I do, actually, know the world-famous DBug. ;)

With regards to future videos, I've always wished I had the time to get some understanding of the tooling on Oric, itself (i.e. no cross-compiling tools) to do Assembly apps .. like, if the Oric was all you had, how would you go about writing a new game for it, in Assembly/Basic .. maybe thats inspiring as a topic for future videos?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:42 pmWith regards to future videos, I've always wished I had the time to get some understanding of the tooling on Oric, itself (i.e. no cross-compiling tools) to do Assembly apps .. like, if the Oric was all you had, how would you go about writing a new game for it, in Assembly/Basic .. maybe thats inspiring as a topic for future videos?
I believe that's something Jede is trying to achieve with Orix.

Regarding me doing it, ohhhh no.
That's where masochism ends :D

Even for the Atari demos, I'm not using a native assembler anymore, it's way too slow.

I can see the interest, but I don't feel like learning how to use all these Oric assemblers and disassemblers just for the sake of showing how they worked, knowing that I will never use them after.

But feel free to do it and share the result!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Part Seven of Upgrade Time is now available on youtube:

This time I show a prototype of asynchronous sound effects (in BASIC) as well as a pimped out intro sequence to make Encounter look more attractive...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Quite interesting, being able to type while sounds play in Basic.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

I finally managed to find time to watch the entire series and I must say that this was very nice.

The additions to the game made perfect sense both, functionality and presentation wise and the overall improvement is massive.

From a presentation standpoint, the videos also are getting better and better with every release, better image and sound, better contrast and visibility. Good job on this point too.

If there were any points I would suggest to still improve upon:
- maybe prepare some texts or topics in advance (like, keep a list of keywords attached next to the camera) so that there are less hesitations when talking, this would help the progression to be a bit smoother to watch. In a sense, just like you polish the user experience of the game, you would have to polish the user experience of the YouTube watcher. ;)
- often you present the results of some changes you make, followed by the corresponding modifications to the sources but it would be really nice to get the following sequence for a better rythm: expose a flaw and suggest an improvement, explain the code, modify the code, show the result.
Of course, this would require much more editing than the current system you use, so I guess that would depend on how much time you can invest in these videos. ;)

This said the current format is very nice as far as I am concerned, I will keep watching! :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Part Eight of Upgrade Time is now available on youtube:

This time I go through the intricacies of Oric BASIC performance, comparing the speed of similar pieces of code.
NekoNoNiaow wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:37 am If there were any points I would suggest to still improve upon:
- maybe prepare some texts or topics in advance (like, keep a list of keywords attached next to the camera) so that there are less hesitations when talking, this would help the progression to be a bit smoother to watch. In a sense, just like you polish the user experience of the game, you would have to polish the user experience of the YouTube watcher. ;)
- often you present the results of some changes you make, followed by the corresponding modifications to the sources but it would be really nice to get the following sequence for a better rythm: expose a flaw and suggest an improvement, explain the code, modify the code, show the result.
Of course, this would require much more editing than the current system you use, so I guess that would depend on how much time you can invest in these videos. ;)
Glad you like the videos :)

I'm painfully aware of the presentation issues, but the main issue is the time it takes to do "professional youtuber" level presentation. Basically, the way I do it is that on the Friday evening I come with an idea of what I should try to show on Sunday, on Saturday a do a bit of poking and testing, and on Sunday I spend the two first hours cleaning and preparing the video material, including:
- Making sure all the source code does correctly compiles and run
- Locating / scanning the various reference pages, cleaning them and resizing so they are readable on the video and don't take too much time on SVN
- Making sure there's no dirty socks and dead rats in the background
- Changing the resolution of my main screen, hiding icons and any other distracting things
- Start OBS studio...
- Realize the for some reason the webcam is refusing to be enabled and reseted to the default parameters (auto focus on, broken color profile, ...)
- Realizing there is a stupidly bright light through the window that needs to be dealt with
- Do a test recording and find out that for some reason the recording level of the microphone has reseted to some stupid parameters as well

By this time I've not even started recording, and two hours have already been spent :)

Then there's the video, which sometimes (like that one) took one take, and sometimes took up to 5 takes...

When it's done, I have to rewatch the entire video to make sure there's no major issue, encoding problem, stuff I missed (like the webcam or microphone stopping to record because of murphy's law, ....)

Then finally it gers uploaded to youtube, and during that time I need to do the custom thumbnail, enter the description and keywords, and when it's finally there I have to post a message on the OSDK facebook page, a link on twitter, a post on the forum.

Basically, without even editing it's a major time sink!

As many things it's a balancing act between the quality and the time it takes. I tried my best to improve the video quality (better audio and light, better resolution), etc...

My hope is that with the practice and confidence I'm going to be able to do something better over time, but in term of investing time in editing, I don't think I'll be able to do that, else I will not be able to do anything else at all :D

Sorry for that!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Interesting tricks for basic programmers!
I know it can be longer than with Oric interpreter, but what is the longest possible size of a basic line, when using tools like TXT2BAS?