Searching for Krystal Worlds (edited by OUM)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
robcook
Flying Officer

Re: Searching for Krystal Worlds (edited by OUM)

Post by robcook »

I just sent a PM. I thought this was in the KW1 game (itself in two parts). Or are you playing KW2?

It's definitely 'drink liquid here' and if memory serves, will lead to the character shrinking... There is a breakable translation formula but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was about. The same code gets used later in the game (I think!).

James Groom posted a solution for KW1 which I think was also published in an OUM.
- - -
ETA: sorry, I think my memory is letting me down. KW1 solution was published in OUM 55 but I think you are playing KW2, correct? Can we clarify that first? :)
- - -
ETA2: I just re-read the 'instruction' sheet for KW2 (kindly scanned by Steve M). More typos than you'd expect to see in a five year old's homework. Enormously embarrassing.
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Thanks for your answer , Rob.
We effectively speak about KW II part1.

The other "secret message", you speak about, in the game is the one here under:
VAPP HYRG : NRQLYNO
We translated in :
PASS WMRD : _ _ _ _ MTH (I dont write the first four letters , not to spoil the game on this forum, but on french forum, we have a thread with soluces of adventure games. The final goal os such a thread, being to gather the soluces of "ALL" oric adventures games :) )
As you can see, there is a problem with the letter "M" which should be an "O" and also with the "T" which should be a "P"
We (Symoon and I) were wondering if it was a mistake from you, when you type the listing, or an other problem of transfert error. ( In this part 1 of KW II; there is several of these errors making the game not completely playable).

Symon and I have translated the second message separatly and with two differents methods. We arrive to the same conclusions
1- Our translation is correct
2- There is a problem with two letters (O and T)
3- The code is not applicable to the first message (DSIOJ LIQUID HESE)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Right, KW2 pt1 - gotcha. Bear in mind I've only got access via an emulator (Oricutron 0.9). I remember loading a copy of KW2 a few years ago and it was corrupted to hell and wouldn't play properly. The version I've got now on Oricutron seems to mostly be okay, but some simple instructions such as I(nventory) don't work. I can see the code if I CTRL-C just after loading but it'd be useful to have a proper look at it - I'm no pro with Oricutron, I've CSAVE'd the listing but can't then find the file anywhere on my laptop and CLOAD doesn't reload it from anywhere. I also can't see anywhere in Oricutron that indicates where CSAVE'd files end up. Anyone know?

From memory, and this is very foggy, the alphabet code/formula could've been a bit weird where some letters change but others don't. ie. The letter A could translate to B, but the letter K could remain K. Something like that - as with most of the so-called 'puzzles' I put into games which I thought at the time were devious and entertaining but with hindsight were just obscure and bloody annoying.

Wifey and I tried to complete KW2 a couple years back and we failed. It's Saturday and we have no plans so I may wake her up and tell her the exciting news that TODAY, she and I get to spend the day trying to solve KW2 :) She's a very lucky woman.

btw, what 'room' or 'location' have you reached? Wifey and I will try to draw a map.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

BTW I just tried to check Jim Groom's solution site and it seems down :(
http://freespace.virgin.net/james.groom/oric/rev2.htm
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

I have managed to solve both part 1 and 2 of KWII and the two maps are also drawn :)
But do not congratulate me to fast because.... I am just an horrible cheater :D
I read most of puzzles solutions right in the listing. The good aspect doing this way is that I have been able to correct most of the transfert errors (perhaps all of them). Anyway, as is, the listing allows the player to win both parts of the game.

I've built two tap files (one for each part, normaly without bug) which will soon be available on forums.oric.org (with soluces and maps).
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Yeah, I think that page has gone but it's still viewable in the internet archive, ie. http://web.archive.org/web/200803051410 ... cheats.htm

I was trying to find KW1's full solution so I can separate that game in my mind from KW2.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Dom wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:48 am I have managed to solve both part 1 and 2 of KWII and the two maps are also drawn :)
But do not congratulate me to fast because.... I am just an horrible cheater :D
I read most of puzzles solutions right in the listing. The good aspect doing this way is that I have been able to correct most of the transfert errors (perhaps all of them). Anyway, as is, the listing allows the player to win both parts of the game.

I've built two tap files (one for each part, normaly without bug) which will soon be available on forums.oric.org (with soluces and maps).
Heh, nice work. You just saved wifey from a terrible Saturday :)

ETA: with my version of KW2, the intro music crashes partway through the second tune (after semi-completion of Pachelbel's Canon). Is that happening with your version?
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

with my version of KW2, the intro music crashes partway through the second tune (after semi-completion of Pachelbel's Canon). Is that happening with your version?
Yes it does. It's due to errors transfert. (corrected in the new tapes)
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Thanks for everything, Dom - the files look great.

btw, I worked out how to save and reload files in Oricutron :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

With thanks to Maurice, who had the tape and made five WAV files of it, and to Dominique for his great help, here is the game, saved from a reluctant tape - the only one we ever found left ;)
It took a bunch of C programs, an Oric ASM program, and manual adjustment of some samples...
KW1.tap
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
There's a checksum control at the start so it should be OK, but you are welcome if you want to test and confirm it's working fine.
Don't ask me why there's a "z" in the yellow line on the 1st screen, or why there are funny characters at the top left, maybe Rob will remember ;) But the checksum is OK and the game is responding, so it should be as the original was, I suppose.

The other good news is that some new tools may appear to deal with old tapes (don't hold your breath though, as usual :wink: ).
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wonderful! Thanks for all the hard work you guys did to make this happen .. words cannot express the joy I feel at being able to load up some new (old) software on my Oric machines to try out. Its' some sort of religious experience these days. :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Raaaah wonderful Simon, Dom and many thanks to Maurice.
Time to play now :)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Indeed you are doing a fantastic job preserving these titles. Many many thanks for all the efforts.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks! (in my name and in the name of Maurice and Dom, as we worked as a team ;) )
And now, enjoy Rob's game (we owe him 1st this piece of software! :D )
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Thank you to everyone who put time into finding and then fixing KW1. I had a quick alook around the game yesterday - it feels quite different to KW2 and reminds me why I chose not to Quill the sequel - not that I'm dissing The Quill, it was/is brilliant.

I think I quickly came across a location exit that wouldn't work (inside a fireplace/tunnel), but this might be an error I made in the location description. Wifey and I plan to have a proper look shortly and we'll see if we can get anywhere. I really appreciate what you guys did here. I'm aware the games I wrote are not great (despite KW1's intro describing it as a 'classic' adventure game - how modest!!) so you could've easily not put in the time, effort and your expertise.

Merci beaucoup.