Tyrann 3 ?

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
maximus
Flying Officer

Re: Tyrann 3 ?

Post by maximus »

Hi Ibisum, like DBug ? are you kidding me ? :D

he's a Master, I'm a Joker ;-)

DBug helped everyone and i say again Thank you !

Hope many of yours advices will permit me to succeed this new dream :wink:

Yes only one version, interely in english (mine, sad news for you ha ha)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Imo, the biggest problem is the usage of the GoT licence.

I would not touch it even with a very long stick: If the attorneys of HBO notice it, you are going to have problems on the forum.

If it had been "inspired" by the universe, but with different names, like for example the game "Dungeons II" which is a satire of the while thing, where you can recognize all the characters, but they have slightly different names, with puns in them... that would be easier to handle.

I've been super cautious with Twilighte and Chema bringing Stormbringer, Skooldaze, Space: 1999 and Blake 7 to the Oric, with copyright notices, and ready to put down the pages at the first hint of somebody looking on our side.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Hi Dbug, i always forget this problem, :?

But game like "1337" is a remake of Elite who is still in exploitation(elite dangerous) did you have problems ?

I thought there's was no souci for fan games which are free, not commercial

In my case i need autorisation of HBO and RR Martin :roll:

i think you're right and i'll change the Universe

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

We did not have any problem so far, but for example Skooldaze, Chema contacted the original author, which is why we have that on the game page:

http://defence-force.org/index.php?page ... aze#title6
Downloading Oric Skool Daze
Due to restrictions imposed by the owners of the copyright (see below), we cannot offer a direct download of this game here. Downloading should be done through www.oric.org, where you need to be a registered user.

Registering is free and Oric International will not spam you with email or share your data with anyone, so it is an easy process

Download Skool Daze from Oric.org
Please do not put the files anywhere else for downloading.
So that one in particular is done with the benediction from the right's owner.

All the other ones are problematic, because there was no authorisation.
Which is why on all the pages I clearly stated that the game was free, who owned the rights (with the link to their websites when I could find them) and some comments encouraging people to buy the original material if they liked our version.

For example, Space 1999:
http://defence-force.org/index.php?page ... 999#title6
Copyright, price and similar things
We acknowledge that all rights about Space: 1999 belong to Granada Ventures.

This game has been written by fans, for the fans. The game is entirely free, and we wholeheartedly advise everybody reading this to order the DVD's (You can search for the great 'Space 1999 Megaset' on your favorite online shop where it received tremendous reviews !)
So, not perfect, but so far we did not have a problem.

Regarding the universe, I never understood why it would not have been possible to expand on the original universe of Tyrann and Amnukor, they had very specific names for places, spells, classes, there was all these funny games of chances, etc... imo that was the perfect opportunity to expand their universe, eventually even contacting the authors for any design documents, back story, etc... they had, or possible evolutions for the story.

In term of licensing that's much safer, and it gives you complete freedom on the story and what happens, because players have not read the books or seen the tv show already :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 pmRegarding the universe, I never understood why it would not have been possible to expand on the original universe of Tyrann and Amnukor, they had very specific names for places, spells, classes, there was all these funny games of chances, etc... imo that was the perfect opportunity to expand their universe, eventually even contacting the authors for any design documents, back story, etc... they had, or possible evolutions for the story.

In term of licensing that's much safer, and it gives you complete freedom on the story and what happens, because players have not read the books or seen the tv show already :)
Couldn't agree more! I must confess I was disappointed to see that Tyrann III universe was actually more GoT than Tyrann.
If you go on a 4th episode, I for one would be happy if it goes back to Tyrann world, would it use again places we know from previous episodes, or expand it to a new world to discover!
So Maximus, if the idea of going away from GoT makes you sad, you now know that it would at least please two potential players ;)
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:shock: I never thought you regret old Universe :?

I wanted to change because we were in 2015 and GoT is so amazing

Hum, your arguments are so strong :D

I must speak of that with Ze Team ou "ICS" (International CEO Studios) :lol:

my scenario is good for trash now :cry:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, how I felt about the universe of the game isn't really important. It is just an opinion among many others ;)
I didn't help for the making of Tyrann 3 (sampling a sound for the demo is my only input :lol: )! I consider that if I wanted something that would have perfectly fitted my expectations, I should have helped ;)

Dbug's legal worries are much more important!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

maximus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 pm :shock: I never thought you regret old Universe :?
We did not have much details about the old universe. What we had was a small representation of it as seen from a limited BASIC game loading stuff from tape in 198x.

You can take any universe and build on top of it.

You can expand by keeping the exact same place and time but add details, or you can be in a different location at the same period of time (meanwhile, in the nearest kingdom, etc... or it could be in the same location, but a generation or two later.

Actually if we google a bit, we get some parts of the backstory of the original game:
https://crpgaddict.blogspot.no/2016/01/ ... ating.html
Courageous men! You who have endured a phase of relentless combats and paid the price of blood and injuries: I salute you!

Once upon a time, Queen TYRANN was condemned. Her sin was an inability to choose between two princes of the winds, both greedy for wealth and power. Now, they are her guardians. TYRANN rests in a crystal sarcophagus in the depths of a maze, protected by strange spells. Woe to those who enter this temple without having what they need! Honor and glory to the brave chosen ones! Go now, and peace be with you! -- WAKHAHN'YORL
Apparently Norsoft is still around, maybe you could contact them about asking for details about the universe that maybe were not released?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rann&hl=en

maximus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 pm my scenario is good for trash now :cry:
Are you sure of that ?

In many cases you can just do some small alterations to a script to adapt it to a different setting and it just works: In both case we are talking about fantasy universes with medieval technology :)