Gamebase Oric V3.0

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Brana
Flying Officer

Re: Gamebase Oric V3.0

Post by Brana »

peacer wrote:https://mega.co.nz/#!9YQjGIxC!HyKc16TVH ... vWDFsLXpbU

I have created another mirror. Mega.co.nz is a very fast and free server too. Without any ads and waiting time, no subscription needed.

4shared was really pain..

Thank you for all your efforts !!
When I initiate the download (Google Chrome, WinXP) the download starts, and it does downloads, hoverer after a while (when a download is at say 40%) my RAM memory is way-up (used over 1GB) and computer starts swapping (using the swap file/virtual memory) and everything slows down (so I have to cancel the download).

This is happening ONLY when I click to download that file (from Mega) - not on any other sites...

Did any others had similar experiene?

(I run only 512MB of RAM on WinXP, about 100mb is used, about 400MB is free, and it newer goes up above say 600mb of used RAM so I really do not need more RAM).
Except maybe in this case? :(
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I have 4Gb of RAM and it's not enough.
Brana
Flying Officer

Post by Brana »

Steve M wrote:I have 4Gb of RAM and it's not enough.
To download THAT - 4gb is not enough???

Or - you ment - 4gb is not enough generally speaking?

I run dualboot on my laptop with the following OS-es:
Plain DOS
Win98
WinXP SP1
WinXP SP3

On WinXP SP1 (no antivirus, no residental processess) RAM usage is about 80mb ony, Netscape (browser) takes ONY about a couple of MB of ram, CPU is at 0 - 30% and 512mb of RAM is more than enough :D

O WinXP SP3 (disabled antivirus, Sygate firewall turned ON) RAM usage is about 120mb only, also Netscape (browser) takes about a couple of MB of ram, and again 512MB is more than enough :D

Youtube, PhotoShop, KMplayer - works great with (sufficient) of 512mb of ram.
(again, NO antivirus!)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Generally speaking. :)

Maybe you have dial-up connection too? I'm not sure but older computers may take longer than expected and cause a time-out failure (?)
If you have a more modern machine try downloading with that and then transfer to the WInXP machine.

I'm not sure if this is available for download elsewhere(?) It was available at some different places then became unavailable.

I'll have a look and see if it'll download for me.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello, for me the link on mega is always available
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Hi Guys, Just a quick message to say that the Gamebase project is not dead but currently in Limbo. I've just been through a rather unpleasant relationship break-up and have been forced to sell my house. I should be moving within the next four weeks and will hopefully be able to get my life back on track once I settle into my new home. I occasionally work on Gamebase, there's been about 30 new games added in the last year ( :oops: ) but I still have a lot of material to work with. Hopefully I will find time to work on a new version later this year. :wink:
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Wow. Hope things calm down for you and you get back to a healthy situation. Lot of stress selling a house without the other stuff to deal with !

On the download front, I used the Dropbox link and it work fine.
Last edited by Steve M on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Same here. I hope everything settles down as soon as possible.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Here's to a speedy recovery and your free time turning into fun time in the future, too .. and thanks for the work on Gamebase.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

+1 on wishes for better times.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Wishing you the best.

Take care.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
dreamseal
Officer Cadet

Post by dreamseal »

Hopefully people don't mind me resurrecting a topic after two years of inactivity, but I only just discovered the Gamebase. I'm not talking specifically about the Oric Gamebase, but about Gamebase in general. I'm not sure where I've been for the past 20 years. I thought I was a pretty big emulator fan, I mean I started writing emulators back in 1996, and I must have something like 25+ emulators installed on my phone. I've seen Gamebase mentioned before, but I didn't realise it was in reference to an actual application that launched games with emulators. I think I thought it was just a collection of games.

I've been reading through various Topics on the defence force forums over recent weeks, trying to catch up with everything, and today I read through the Gamebase V3.0 topic. So I downloaded the Oric Gamebase, and the Java version of the Gamebase frontend application (since I'm using Linux). I then tweaked a few things to get it to launch the Linux version of Oricutron I compiled a while back, then created a config file to get it to launch Tom's ClkSignal that I compiled a few days ago.

Having done this, I'm about to make some changes to JOric to see if I can get it to run games with JOric as well. Should be trivial. One thing I like about the Oric is that, when loading a game, its either a tape or a disk and that's pretty much all you need to worry about, most of the time.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

>its either a tape or a disk and that's pretty much all you need to worry about, most of the time.
True. But its those multi-.tap files you can get tangled up in ..

Looking forward to hearing more of your progress with J'Oric!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

ibisum wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 am
>its either a tape or a disk and that's pretty much all you need to worry about, most of the time.
True. But its those multi-.tap files you can get tangled up in ..
Yep, and the amount of $16 bytes before $24 in the TAP file can sometimes lead to surprises too, for historical reasons ;)