Oricium feedback and review thread

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Oricium feedback and review thread

Post by peacer »

I'm now at final boss level with only one life.. Soooooooo hard to win but I am trying :)

This game opens era for many side-scroller games and platforms like mario bros, gods etc. Probably the same scrolling mechanics could apply to horisontal scrolling and it makes possible "river-raid" like games.. I hope, in future, Chema could create tools for such games based on Oricium motor.
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

Well done! Incredibly smooth and and fast scrolling.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello Oricium Users,

I'll put a test page in next ceo-mag.
Participations will be appreciated by sending me an article, your feelings, your points of view about this game. You can send pm me.

I'll finish next mag around 25th august.

Thanks a lot.
Didier, Chief Redactor of CEO-Mag.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Hi Chema and a million thanks for this game, this is just AWESOME!!!

I never knew the original Uridium game, but Oricium rings back very fond memories of my latter days with "Goldrunner" for the Atari ST!!

Just one thing: maybe I'm a crap player, but I'm finding the difficulty level to be quite harsh: I've been really struggling with the 3rd level (The Labyrinth): I cannot get my ship by without crashing into the walls.... :-( Do you have any advice for me??

PS - I was so impressed by this game that I took upon myself to write a "tribute" section on the French page of Wikipedia for Uridum, adding a reference to Oricium and citing you as the author with your full name... I realise now this may not be to your taste, so if this bothers you do not hesitate to ask me to remove any reference to Oricium or to you, or to delete the info yourself adding a comment that you do not wish to be cited... But really, I think you deserve to be famed on this page, and I would like to translate my addition to the English page for Uridium as well, that is if you don't mind of course...

Cheers,

Laurent

Oric 1 48K and Oric Atmos 48K owner
Oricutron user
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Just moving the ship in the labyrinth might not enough to pass the level. I can pass the first labyrinth easily but there are some more diffucult labyrinth levels as you advance in the game.

So, just arrow keys might not enough. You should use jump key time to time to pass over small areas.

I am still on final boss level. That is still impossible to me. Especially the areas between two wall in the middle are impossible to destroy while jumping over walls.. Did anyone manage to pass that boss level?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi all.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I am enjoying my holidays and writing this from a cellphone. Not sure I will be able to address everything.

Anyway I will look at all the comments carefully when I am back.
Peacer I can't believe you passed all the levels and currently facing the boss. It is quite tricky but I killed it several times while testing. So not impossible.

What you experienced in level 20 could be the attack of one of the enemies, which is able to.push your ship when nearby.

Symoon I am not sure which version of tap2cd you are using. Did you try the present generated wave I included on he zip?

Maybe the one in the osdk distro?
polluks
Pilot Officer

Post by polluks »

Well done!
What about joystick support?

Greetings,
Stefan
cc65 development
Oric Atmos + Cumulus
Acorn Electron
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Chema wrote:Hi all.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I am enjoying my holidays and writing this from a cellphone. Not sure I will be able to address everything.

Anyway I will look at all the comments carefully when I am back.
Peacer I can't believe you passed all the levels and currently facing the boss. It is quite tricky but I killed it several times while testing. So not impossible.

What you experienced in level 20 could be the attack of one of the enemies, which is able to.push your ship when nearby.

Symoon I am not sure which version of tap2cd you are using. Did you try the present generated wave I included on he zip?

Maybe the one in the osdk distro?

Hmm... maybe its because of that.. I didn't notice that was because enemy ship nearby.. Thanks ! Is there a reward for the one who finish the game firstly? :))
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:Symoon I am not sure which version of tap2cd you are using. Did you try the present generated wave I included on he zip?
I simply tried the WAV file you provided (in the 1st version, before I modified for Oric-1 compatibility)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

The splash screen is just superb :)

Thanks again Chema for your work, you made just another marvellous and astonish game :)

(PS: added a quickl entry in my blog about your game: http://www.986-studio.com/2014/08/12/oricium/ :) )
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi guys. I am back from my holidays :(

I've been monitoring the thread a bit, but my mobile connection sucks, therefor I did not post too often.

Again thanks for the nice comments. Some small notes about Oricium have been posted in several forums, which is really nice and good for the Oric fans :)

Sorry for the Oric-1 tap bug. Thanks indeed to Symoon for fixing it and Dbug for including the new version in the zip file. I guess that now I need to update the info in the site and in the readme and in the zip file. Having two files is a bit confusing. About the mixed tap headers I guess different tools were using different patterns and it got messed up a bit when concatenating the tap files together.

Strange the fast wav version did not work for you Symoon. I used the same conversion I did with SkoolDaze. I guess timings are a bit tight, though. Also I noticed that some parts of the audio are more prone to errors than others: mainly those with "continuous" sounds (I guess filled with constant values). However I always could load it. Just a matter of setting the volume correctly.

Indeed the same idea could be used for other lateral scrolling games. The main issues are the lack of available characters and the character-based scroll. I will make the sources available as usual.

I am glad that you found the game quick and playable and controls smooth. If you find anything which needs polishing, just say so and I'll try to fix it.

Oh, and the intro screen is indeed very well done! Thanks to Dbug: the Artist ;)

Joystick support was on my todo list. Only problem is that I need not only up/down/left/right and fire, but also jump. I have no experience in this area, so I may take a look at Twilighte's info in the Wiki.

I am sure I forget something, so post any question or suggestion here.

Thanks for trying the game! (it would be nice if you post which level and score is your record - btw did you recognize all the songs? and all the details refering to the 70s-80s?)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote:Joystick support was on my todo list. Only problem is that I need not only up/down/left/right and fire, but also jump. I have no experience in this area, so I may take a look at Twilighte's info in the Wiki.
Just so you know, Dominique Pessan (of CEO fame) has made a patch to use PASE Joysticks with Oricium.
I can put you in contact so you can perhaps include a native/clean version of the joystick handling directly at the source code level and release a 1.2 version?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Did he? That is very interesting... Yeah, info about this would be really great!

Thanks Dbug!
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Hi Chema.
Oricium is really a fantastic game !
Specially when played on a real oric and... Specialy with the help of a good Joystick :)

I will post soon (I hope)
a "How do to it by yourself", but for the moment I am hunting a bug which occurs when pressing the Left Shift key while the Joystick is pushed on its right.
It's not very , annoying, regarding the game play, but not very clean :)

The oriciumJS I sent to you has got this problem, you can check it.
The one I sent to Dbug has not, but the left shift key is inactive if the JS is actuated ...

Yes, I'm working on a third version :D
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I have a problem about loading game in real atmos.

I have a nice setup to play .wav files via my mp3 player connected to Oric tape-in. I can load EVERY game that I try with success.

But the game does not load properly for my atmos unfortunately.

I use the original .wav file downloaded from Oricium page. It loads the loader part, then opening picture succesfully. Then all the game code is loaded too. It quickly shows the title page with memoriam to twilight in less than blink time. Then story page shows up but only says "They receive the signals and fou"

After this truncated sentence, the game hangs up. No key stroke does anything. No music, nothing. Pushing reset button don't do anything but erasing the top Oricium logo.

From my experience with emulator, the game should ask for v-sync test firstly but in my real Oric it does not ask for me to plug vsync cable or vertical retrace calibration routine.

I have no vsync cable. But the game bypass the calibration page and hangs up.

I have tried to cload the game 5 or 6 times and it happens like that every time. It hangs up everytime in step of saying ""They receive the signals and fou"

I wait for more than hour in this stage but it did not run any further.

I believe its something about detecting the vsync cable stage. The game thinks that vsync cable is connected but there's no such thing, and hangs up.

Why do you think it happens like this? Why does it not show calibration page and hangs up in that stage? Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?