Upgrade Time: Encounter

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Time: Encounter

Post by Dbug »

No you have not missed that, I did not speak about it, it's just the tools I'm using:
- "Sublime Text" for the text editing
- "Beyond Compare" for all the diffing
- "Paint Shop Pro" (8 or 9) for the graphics

None of these are free software, but I bought the licences a long time ago, and they work well for me, that being said the OSDK does not really care, as long as you can save good old text files and png images, it just works :)

Regarding the BASIC syntax coloring, it's just a quick hack that does not work very well because most syntax coloring systems expect tokens to be separated by either punctuation or whitespace. They don't like things like IFA=BTHENPRINTC!

Maybe I should do a few videos on how to use the OSDK, pictconv, filepack, etc...?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That would be a great idea, Dbug.

I can tell the OSDK is great and can be used with any tools of your choice. I am using Notepad++ with syntax coloring for 6502 asm and C and project (multiple files) handling, but I also used Visual Studio in the past.

In both cases I had/have hotkeys to build and launch Oricutron which automatically loads the program, has the correct symbol file for debugging, etc.

For the graphics I use windows Paint :) or Gimp with a 6x8 grid. Or my own tools...

The only thing that I miss is integrated debugging :) you know, being able to set breakpoints or inspect variables within the editor... but that is just a minor detail.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I really enjoy getting your updates on this project and am really looking forward to the final result! Cool that you're refining it further too .. very exciting!
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Dbug wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 am No you have not missed that, I did not speak about it, it's just the tools I'm using:
- "Sublime Text" for the text editing
- "Beyond Compare" for all the diffing
- "Paint Shop Pro" (8 or 9) for the graphics
Thank you so much.

Dbug wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 am Maybe I should do a few videos on how to use the OSDK, pictconv, filepack, etc...?
It would be greatly appreciated really.
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

Have I missed something on the progress of the upgrade of Encounter , the last post was in August , has it been finished ,the graphics included improved it beyond recognition but I can't see any finished game anywhere ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

coolman66 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:45 pm Have I missed something on the progress of the upgrade of Encounter , the last post was in August , has it been finished ,the graphics included improved it beyond recognition but I can't see any finished game anywhere ?
I explained on this blog post: http://blog.defence-force.org/index.php ... &ref=ART54

Basically I'm pushing back to next year, it was taking too much of my time, I had promised things and side projects pilling up, so I decided to put it on hold, unstack some of the other stuff I was doing, and when I'm ready, I'll going to finish it.
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

Very sorry I missed your blog so didn't know of your plans , I didn't mean to seem disrespectful again sorry !
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I guess I forgot to put some smileys :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Some updates regarding the project, it's not dead and buried yet!

Here is a short video that explains why the Encounter upgrade project did not progress last year, and what are the plans for the future.

jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

I'm discovering the Upgrade Time video serie and I like it a lot. I'm at #4 and I find it very interesting.
I couldn't help watching this one before the previous ones.
With this video I learn that the reworked Encounter already exists and that a new reworked version is on its way. Great !! :-)

Now I'm going back at #5 ..

Thanks a lot for these videos .
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'd really love to know more about the Development environment for this project, Dbug. I've tried following along but last I tripped over was your use of a BASIC pre-compiler or macro-expander thingy, and I never got to the bottom of that well enough to continue ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

First (small) video for the upgraded upgrade time, I converted the Tap2Dsk project to FloppyBuilder, hopefully that's understandable.

The code is available on the SVN as usual:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... r/Part 19/
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Very interesting video .. and there are some real jewels in the provided source code. Thanks a lot for all that.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, after two years, it was about time I came up with some news on the project :)

Here is the current state of the game, with the new navigation display and updated graphic layout.

Hopefully this time it's going in the right direction!

The code is not yet available, it's just some hacked around stuff done last weekend, it's not "production quality" yet.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Congrats! Nice and informative video.
I spotted 3 minor things:
1. "...after two years" - damn, how fast time flies!
2. the IRQ hooking routine assumes only Atmos compatibility, imho it's easy and worth to support Oric-1 ROM too.
3. in the YT video description "miniserve" link is invalid.