OASIS development

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
iss
Flight Lieutenant

Re: OASIS development

Post by iss » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 am

Wow, full-functional teleport, it's awesome. :)

Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Symoon wrote:Lucasfilm's Zak Mac Kracken didn't even have such a design for teleportation: it just used a sound and erased or re-drew the hero's sprite.
That's the difference between Elite programmers and wannabees :)

coco.oric
Flight Lieutenant

Post by coco.oric » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:10 am

Nice vids !
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Image Image

ibisum
Squad Leader

Post by ibisum » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Very nice videos! So much anticipation to play this ...

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:09 am

Just a quick note. I have been quite productive lately, and made several new designs (five! and I need a couple more) for the last part of this episode 2. If just debugging such a complex system (with memory management, script interpreting and multi-threading) takes A LOT (nearly 4 hours to hunt and solve the last bug I faced), designing and drawing is my own nightmare.

Here is an example (not finished yet, some details missing, but the room layout is ready)
cahall.png
cahall.png (8.82 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Not that I am not enjoying it and learning many new things, but it takes me an average of 2-3 hours to draw the first version a new room graphic. And then come the zplane masks, and then the objects, and put all the data in disk and in my tables, and test it... Tweaking small details as the walking boxes' borders, animations, other character movements and timings... also takes a lot of time. And it is something that can always be improved, so a never-ending process.

I must confess I considered many times reducing the game to a bunch of dozen rooms and something that could be played in a couple of hours at most. More like a demo than a full game. But I decided not to. For good or bad this is going to take long because it will be a usual-length game. I am going to put a lot of effort in this, because I am enjoying the process and I want (if I can) to keep attention to details and storytelling too.

The engine is quite powerful and permits to do a lot of nice things, so I want to use all of the features available :)