In The Beginnig...

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
kenneth
Squad Leader

In The Beginnig...

Post by kenneth »

Good evening
I just start my ATMOS and Jasmin drive, twenty years after and everything works. :D :D I would like to load a game program half basic half LM from 3inches disk I did in the 1980s and no success. :evil: The Audacity program 44100Hz produces a signal that is good at the beginning and then decreased and became bad. 96000Hz makes a good wave until end but Wavclean refuses this format. What can I do?
Thanks. :wink:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I'm trying to understand, let me know if I'm wrong...
1- you wanted to load something from disk and it didn't work
2- so you tried to load it from tape
3- instead of loading the tape in your Oric, you sampled it with Audacity then tried to load it from it on Oric
4- it only worked with 96000Hz sample resolution
5- then you are trying to make a TAP file of it

Is that it???
If so, you can downsample your 96000 WAV file to 44100 (8 bits) with Audacity, I suppose. Then it should work with Wavclean and Tap2wav, although sometimes WAV files working on a real Oric won't work with them!
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I did the following things:
1 Loading the program disk to Atmos successfully.
2 Send the program to the PC through the microphone plug with CSAVE
3 Loading the wave with Audacity in 44100Hz mode:Bad result.
3 The same with max sampling :Good signal (good result?)
I want to convert the result for compatibility with Wavclean but I just began with Audacity understanding...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well you can't get a better signal than the one that the Oric outputs!
So I guess it's all a matter of finding the right volume for the recording or the playback.
You can also try removing your disk drive before CLOADing (have switched the Oric off, of course); I've experienced Cloads problems with a Microdisc on most of my Orics.

In any case, 44kHz is really more than enough to Csave/Cload (TAP2WAV outputs 11kHz and works fine...)

Good luck !
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Thank you for your advice Symoon

I found a wave editor that works with the mono 44100Hz signal and I could see that the signal was too weak for Wavclean. With the amplifier function I tried to transfer a little Basic program from disk.SUCCESS! :D (with a single error). Maybe the disk is too old..
This looks good... :wink:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

How did you detect an error: by checking the listing, or with WAV2TAP's saing "error at..." ?
If WAV2TAP warned you, then it means the error is in the signal you recorded, not on the disk. You can try saving the program again and converting again. Beware also, the error detection from the tape signal is a simple parity check, so this means it doesn't always detect the errors ;-)

It could be worth trying to find a solution to have your recording level high enough to avoid playing with the amplification (did you check your settings on your PC, such as line in or mic boost, and so on).
Also, keep mobile phones away from the computer when you are recording the sound ;-)
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

3" drives use a belt,
go look on Amstrad fan sites, someone found a source of new belts a while back.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Good evening.

I wanted to switch on my Oric, and nothing happens...(Argh) the Jasmin 5v Graetz rectifier died. I found a rectifier TV (max 3Amps)and it runs again (pfiu..)
Recording with the microphone boost option is a success, I recovered my old programs... :D