Central repository for Utilities

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Twilighte
Game master

Central repository for Utilities

Post by Twilighte »

Do we have a central repository for Oric utilities?
I know their is Fabrice's site which has possibly (still) the majority of utilities but i have a number of utilities and others too (Symoon, Dbug).

It would be cool to have a central repository where we could drop a complete list of all utilities (ordered by area) with website links or direct download links.
Chema
Game master

Re: Central repository for Utilities

Post by Chema »

Twilighte wrote:Do we have a central repository for Oric utilities?
I know their is Fabrice's site which has possibly (still) the majority of utilities but i have a number of utilities and others too (Symoon, Dbug).

It would be cool to have a central repository where we could drop a complete list of all utilities (ordered by area) with website links or direct download links.
Would be nice if we can use defence-force's SVN server for that, including binaries and sources. Not sure how much software is already there. OSDK is, for sure, as well as Space1999 binaries and sources and others.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'd be quite happy to set something up if its needed!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I would have no problem having a central repository and send my old (and bugged :shock: ) tools there.
Waskol, Scott and Andre M. made nice tools for Oric too, and I suspect Jede did, too, but doesn't tell much about them. There are also older ones from people that left the Oric World.

I have absolutely no idea how SVN works or can be accessed; it would be cool having a small page for each utility, with platform, docs and so on, so that anyone could download them. Like Oric.org but for multiplatform utilities (would they be for DOS, Windows, Linux, MacOS, or Oric).

Of course it would be better if we had 100% of utilities there, so all the authors' agreement.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: I have absolutely no idea how SVN works or can be accessed; it would be cool having a small page for each utility, with platform, docs and so on, so that anyone could download them. Like Oric.org but for multiplatform utilities (would they be for DOS, Windows, Linux, MacOS, or Oric).

Of course it would be better if we had 100% of utilities there, so all the authors' agreement.
You need a svn client for uploading and version control, but nothing else that a web browser to download files. Check http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/. In the /public/oric/games/Space 1999 you can find the sources and necessary tools to build Space 1999, for instance.

But I now realize that there is little else on the repository. Something more on the users folder (the current version of the Elite Clone and some 4k games from Dbug...). We would need to tidy everything up a bit and have directories with binaries and zipped sources for those tools/games/demos not under version control. Else you have to download all the necessary files one by one, which is a pain. The user interface from the web browser is not the best at all...

Anyway oric.org would be a nice place to keep all the Oric resources together...
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

For Simon : svn client try to find "tortoise svn"

For Chema, oric.org could be the binary repository, defence force the source repository why not.

But, should i put these binaries in the same databank than oric software or in another databank ? Any ideas are welcome

and still for Chema : in your next game don't forget telestrat joystick support :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

jede wrote:For Chema, oric.org could be the binary repository, defence force the source repository why not.

But, should i put these binaries in the same databank than oric software or in another databank ?
Not easy. There's already a Utility section, but only for Oric software.
Could we consider PC/Mac programs (including Euphoric, after all!) as utilites that should be mixed with Oric software?

Or if we separate them, that would mean a user would have to search utilites in 2 databases, according if it's an Oric program or not?

I don't see any "perfect" solution :?: