WAV files on an MP3 (or similar) player

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Post Reply
stevelanc
1st Star Corporal
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:37 am

WAV files on an MP3 (or similar) player

Post by stevelanc » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:19 pm

Has anybody transferred any .WAV files to an MP3 player (one that can play WAV files) and loading it into the Oric using the headphone socket. I am thinking of trying it but was wondering if anybody had any experiences of doing this.

Steve

User avatar
Symoon
Archivist
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Symoon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:47 pm

I tried with a Creative Zen Nano Plus.
It works but with 2 major problems:
1- the sound is too low, and requires an amplification. Maybe another Oric may react in a better way but I only have 1 Oric right now.
2- it seems the WAV files are not completely read, the very end of them is not sent to the Oric, which then stays in "Loading.." mode. Adding a short silence at the end of the files produced by Tap2wav or Tap2cd (with software like Goldwae or Cool Edit) should solve the problem.

Conclusion: not very useful...
Other testers are welcome !

User avatar
Symoon
Archivist
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Symoon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Ok, tried with another Oric. The "unfinished loading" problem is still there.
On the sound side, though:
- normal signal generated with TAP2WAV worked fine
- amplified signal generated with TAP2WAV didn't work
- signal generated with TAP2CD is faulty

So, it seems to differ from an Oric to another :roll:

User avatar
waskol
Flight Lieutenant
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: FRANCE, Paris

Post by waskol » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:08 pm

I do that with the CPC464 I owe, i never triedit with my Oric though.

User avatar
waskol
Flight Lieutenant
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: FRANCE, Paris

Post by waskol » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:14 am

OK, I just tried "Attack Of The Cybermen" in MP3...

and it works folks ! :wink:

1) I converted a tap in wav (11025 Hz, mono, 8 bits), with my Tap2Wav for windows (I am pretty sure it works too with Fabrice Frances' Tap2Wav too)
2) Then from audacity, I have converted the wav file into a mp3 (thus using the lame encoder dll through audacity)
3) I load the MP3 from my PC with a mp3 player (I used Nero Media Player)

Symoon, I think you probably have a problem of Codecs on the PC side, either at the encoding level or at the playback level.

User avatar
Symoon
Archivist
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Symoon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:01 am

Well, I'm now using WAV files with my mp3 player and it's ok, although sometimes random (ok at 66% with the same player, wav file, and computer...).

Most mp3/wav players I know "eat" the signal at the beginning and/or the end.
I can hear it sometimes with songs on my Creative mp3 player, compared to the same file played with Winamp or Cool Edit.
I also had the problem by loading programs on-line with friends on Ivisit.
Clearly not an encoding problem, as I play the WAV file ;-)

I added an option to TAP2WAV so it can generate a small silence at the end of the file, and this solved the problem.

New batch of Tapetools will be released as soon as I can finish my slow-speed decoder (which is more complicated than fast speed ;)

User avatar
Symoon
Archivist
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Symoon » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:46 am

Oh BTW, here's an old test I made in 1998, with L3ENC encoder under DOS:

Code: Select all

WAV freq.   MP3 bitrate   Loading result
44kHz mono     96          OK
22kHz mono     56          OK
22kHz mono     32          OK
22kHz mono     24          errors
(CEO-Mag issue 103, Nov. 1998)

Cheers !

vrozos
Officer Cadet
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Post by vrozos » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Just to pass my own experience. I am
using tap2wav without any arguments
(neither "-8" or "-11") to prepare my
wav files. Then I am using lame with
"--comp 1" to turn the wavs into mp3s
(lame performs automatically re-sampling
from 4.8kHz to 8 kHz). I have to do
this because my DVD player (AKI
DV-4770U) does not play wavs, only
mp3s.

For the opposite direction(Oric -> PC),
I am using a tape-recorder (Omega
Reporter-20) of which the mic is
connected to Oric. In my PC, I use
audacity to digitise the sound played
by my tape-recorder into a 44100
Hz/mono/8-bit wav. Then, wavclean and
I have a nice 4800 Hz wav that can be
used with the hardware tape of
Euphoric (unfortunately currently
neither xeuphoric nor oricutron
support wav files, please guys do
something about this).

Sound level is very important.

- For CLOADing into Oric, I put the
volume of my tv-set (tv is connected
with SCART to my DVD player and with
3.5 mm jack to my Oric) somewhere
between 2/3 and the maximum.

- For digitising with audacity I am
adjusting the volume level (very
low) to keep the amplitude of the
recorded sound inside upper and
lower boundaries .

Reliability is 100%!

On the contrary tap2cd failed in every
experiment I tried. The closest to
success was achieved when I connected
Oric to the soundcart output. Zorgons
was loaded, the intro screen appeared,
"Our Hero" run from one side of the
screen to the other and then Oric
froze with a tone coming from the
speaker.

Cheers,

V.

Written from my Oric, please allow for
typos and misspells.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests