FloppyBuilder evolution

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Game master

Re: FloppyBuilder evolution

Post by Chema » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 am

Sounds really interesting, but I did not understand everything :)

You say it boots in 8D, but what does 'the image need to be stripped to plain sector data' mean? Is it that the same image won't work for the three operating systems?

Also the limitation in size is really stringent... Why only 140Kb of data? Is it because 8D does not know how to manage more? Is it due to the hardware limitations in the 8D controller (which I know nothing about)?

Two more questions:
- Did you add code for reading/writing sectors and on-the-fly decompression as with Microdisc?
- Are you using my latest modifications to the code which support Jasmin? I think I have them updated in Blake's 7 sources in the repository, but the original version did not work with Jasmin.

As I previously said, another important thing here would be make the disc bootable in Telestrat aswell. But this seems impossible with 256-byte sectors (it needs a 0 where the Microdisc needs a 1, and with 512 bytes a dirty trick could be done, but not with 256-byte sectors). Fabrice sent me a small Telestrat program which could be used to boot the game disk, but it is a separate program, and using it is a bit cumbersome...

Now that I mention it, I should upload it somewhere, so Telestrat users can actually play Blake's 7.

Site Admin

Post by Dbug » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 am

Regarding sector size, there's nothing that forces us to use the same number of sectors on all tracks.

It's perfectly possible to use 512 bytes per sectors on the boot track, and 256 bytes on the rest.

Squad Leader

Post by iss » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm

@Chema: 8D-FDC and DOS-8D were created to be compatible with Apple ][ Disk floppy disks - 5.25", single side, 35 tracks, 16 sectors/track, 256 bytes/sector. There are many image file formats for these disks, but the most simple one is the 'DSK'. It stores only the real data from sectors without any info about the address fields, gaps, etc. When I added support for 8D-FDC to Oricutron I used this format just because its simplicity and until now there is no single demand for something more complex. Now I use FloppyBuilder to create a DSK file with 1/35/16/256 geometry. It runs perfect* in Oricutron with Microdisk and Jasmin FDC, but for 8D-FDC Oricutron requires the 'other' type of DSK and I use a simple tool to extract only the plain data from sectors.
Maybe it's little bit confusing because both images are DSK and use the same file extension '.dsk'....
* Actually in Oricutron was a bug in DSK loading routine, which I fixed and I will commit the changes.

For now the decompression is not added, thanks to remind me for it :).
I saw your modifications, but I didn't merged them... it's on my todo list.
At end, I didn't understand the problem with Telestrat and 256/512 bytes mystery...
I'm curious and this is very good reason to start using my Telestart(s):mrgreen:.