FloppyBuilder

Anything related to the tools Tap2Wav, Tap2CD, Tap2Dsk, Sedoric Disc Manager, Tape Header Creator, WriteDsk, and generaly speaking tools related to the management of Oric data files and devices.
Dbug
Site Admin

FloppyBuilder

Post by Dbug »

I'm not far of having a clean version of the FloppyBuilder we used in the Defence Force demos.
Most of the code has been rewritten, the description file syntax is now totally different as wells as both the loader and exported floppy layout information.

The biggest achievement so far is that in emulators it can now load data while playing music.

I wanted to test that on my real Oric and Microdisc, but unfortunately since the fall from the table at the Solskogen party it does not boot anymore, so I'd like if some of you could try to test the generated floppy on a real machine and tell me if it works. I'm interested by both 3", 3.5" and HxC/Cumulus results.

Here is the sample floppy:
SlideShow.dsk
(525.25 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
What it does is to play an Atari ST music, and cycles through 3 pictures from known games (Damsel, Diamant, Krillys) loader from disc.
The number at the bottom are the side, track and sector numbers used during the loading.

Basically what I need to know is:
- does it boot
- does it loads the pictures
- does the loading of pictures impacts the sound
- how long does the loading of a picture takes (in Oricutron it's like not even a second, but I guess on a real Oric it much be much slower)

Thanks!

For information, here is the script that generated the floppy (I removed the comments)
OutputLayoutFile floppy_description.h
OutputFloppyFile ..\build\SlideShow.dsk

AddDefine LOADER_SHOW_DEBUGINFO 1

SetBootSector Microdisc ..\build\files\bootsector_microdisc.o
SetBootSector Jasmin ..\build\files\bootsector_jasmin.o

SetPosition 0 5
AddFile ..\build\files\loader.o $fc00

SetPosition 1 13
AddDefine LOADER_SLIDESHOW {FileIndex}
AddFile ..\build\files\slideshow.o $400

AddDefine LOADER_FIRST_PICTURE {FileIndex}
AddFile ..\build\files\damsel.hir $a000
AddFile ..\build\files\diamond_2.hir $a000
AddFile ..\build\files\krillys.hir $a000
AddDefine LOADER_LAST_PICTURE {FileIndex}

AddDefine LOADER_FIRST_MUSIC {FileIndex}
AddFile ..\build\files\music_cuddly.ym $c000
And here is the generated layout file used by the loader code:
//
// Floppy layout generated by FloppyBuilder 0.3
//

#ifdef ASSEMBLER
//
// Information for the Assembler
//
FileStartSector .byt 5,13,17,15,13,11
FileStartTrack .byt 0,1,2,4,6,8
FileSectorCount .byt 3,21,32,32,32,29
FileLoadAdressLow .byt <64512,<1024,<40960,<40960,<40960,<49152
FileLoadAdressHigh .byt >64512,>1024,>40960,>40960,>40960,>49152
#else
//
// Information for the Compiler
//
#endif

//
// Summary for this floppy building session:
#define FLOPPY_TRACK_NUMBER 42 // Number of tracks
#define FLOPPY_SECTOR_PER_TRACK 17 // Number of sectors per track
//
// List of files written to the floppy
// - Entry #0 '..\build\files\loader.o ' loads at address 64512 starts on track 0 sector 5 and is 3 sectors long (516 bytes).
// - Entry #1 '..\build\files\slideshow.o ' loads at address 1024 starts on track 1 sector 13 and is 21 sectors long (5133 bytes).
// - Entry #2 '..\build\files\damsel.hir ' loads at address 40960 starts on track 2 sector 17 and is 32 sectors long (8000 bytes).
// - Entry #3 '..\build\files\diamond_2.hir ' loads at address 40960 starts on track 4 sector 15 and is 32 sectors long (8000 bytes).
// - Entry #4 '..\build\files\krillys.hir ' loads at address 40960 starts on track 6 sector 13 and is 32 sectors long (8000 bytes).
// - Entry #5 '..\build\files\music_cuddly.ym ' loads at address 49152 starts on track 8 sector 11 and is 29 sectors long (7347 bytes).
//
#define LOADER_SHOW_DEBUGINFO 1
#define LOADER_SLIDESHOW 1
#define LOADER_FIRST_PICTURE 2
#define LOADER_LAST_PICTURE 5
#define LOADER_FIRST_MUSIC 5
#define LOADER_LAST_MUSIC 6
I'm still working on the format, adding information, etc... so nothing is case in stone. Suggestions and questions are welcome.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Re: FloppyBuilder

Post by peacer »

Can't answer your questions but the music sample is absolutely awesome :)