This forum is about audio tools, including samplers, sound trackers, sound chip editors, how to do sound effects, etc...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

No, I'm not asking for Skype on the Oric ;-)
I'm wondering if it would not be possible to link Orics' tape plug to PCs soundcards (well, this is possible of course ;)), and transfer datas between the 2 Orics by CLOADING on one side, and CSAVING on the other, thru Skype.

Using PCs and Skype this way could be a funny way of networking Orics over the world, for chess game for instance. One could even network 3, 4 Orics as Skype allows conferences (of course with a basic token-ring like protocol to know which Oric has now to "speak").

The first step would be trying to transfer a program thru Skype... Any volunteer ? ;)

Simon
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok, tried today, thru IVISIT.
A friend played a WAV file generated by TAP2WAV at 11khz, and my Oric was plugged on the other side. We made 3 attempts at various sound level.

The Oric loaded the program, with errors sadly, so it's not reliable.

We should try some other day with Skype. I'll keep the forum informed ;-)

S.
CMPI
Private

Post by CMPI »

Funny way to use networks !!! :D
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

I don't know any network audio format for voice that will do this. Voice has a variable frequency and tape normally has a fixed frequency.
You would need to be a custom app designed to deal with the frequency used for the data on the tape.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ok, tired again to CLOAD a program through the Internet:
- works fine with Ivisit (which would allow bidirectionnal exchanges)
- works fine with Winamp and Shoutcast server (unidirectionnal but infinite boradcast ;))
- definitely doesn't work with Skype

Funny thing though: with Ivisit and Winamp, if you read a WAV file made by TAP2WAV for instance, some few bytes seem to be lost at the end so the program is stuck in "Loading" mode until more bytes are sent.
Adding a silence at the end of the WAV file corrects this; seems like a buffer somewhere is not sent at the end of the sound file.

So who will program the first Oric network program thru "Oricbox" (a PC ;)) linked to the tape port ? :lol: