Question to twilighte

This forum is about audio tools, including samplers, sound trackers, sound chip editors, how to do sound effects, etc...
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Question to twilighte

Post by waskol »

Hello Twilighte,

I know you are very busy and that you have to take care of you, so take your time to answer me ;)

I had a few questions about the sound samples on your site (sound effects and instrumentals).

1) Basically, what is the structure of those samples ? is that unsigned 8 bit raw wav data ?
2 ) concerning the intrumentals : the "demo.com" player on the dsk do not seem to output any sounds (The one provided for sound effects works perfect, although I did not try to use this one to play the instrumental samples)

Thank you very very much.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Eeek! someone found my site again Jede!!
hehe, the olde Twilighte site has not been updated for yonks.
waskol wrote:1) Basically, what is the structure of those samples ? is that unsigned 8 bit raw wav data ?
Yes, i think so. But i am guessing from memory.
waskol wrote:2 ) concerning the intrumentals : the "demo.com" player on the dsk do not seem to output any sounds (The one provided for sound effects works perfect, although I did not try to use this one to play the instrumental samples)
Well both will use the same format, so you might copy the demo.com on the good version together with player code (demo.com will no doubt just be a basic loader).

hehe, also just noticed the date of the question.. excellent only about a year late!
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Twilighte wrote:Eeek! someone found my site again Jede!!
hehe, the olde Twilighte site has not been updated for yonks.
hehehe... Good references are never forgiven :wink:
Twilighte wrote: hehe, also just noticed the date of the question.. excellent only about a year late!
That's not a problem, I am very patient and still alive ! :P

Thank you very much for reply.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Incidentally, those Samples originally came from Stephen Meachen, now there's a blast from the past! :)
He (like Dbug) wrote a 3 channel sample player which simulated almost 8 bit resolution.
The problem with that is that although the resolution is raised the speed of play is reduced (accessing all 3 channels is slow) and some may argue that playing one 4 bit channel sample rapidly is just as good a reproduction.

Personally i prefer the latter because then i can store 2 samples in one byte. :idea:
But as always it can quickly cascade into a can of worms with all the different formats and players. :P

I even at one point experimented with something i coined as 332 format, storing three samples in one byte with 1 bit less resolution on the third entry. :?