Sound Effects using Sonix (overview)

This forum is about audio tools, including samplers, sound trackers, sound chip editors, how to do sound effects, etc...
Twilighte
Game master

Sound Effects using Sonix (overview)

Post by Twilighte »

Sound Effects have traditionally been a subset of a music player, where instead of a group of patterns playing a song, a single pattern or note is used with the traditional Volume sequence (Sample in Sonix) and ornament (for controlling relative pitch/note).

Sound Effects tend to be limited to a single channel, in order to have the other two channels free for music and/or second player sound effects.

Most of my own sound effects linked into a Sonix music file or executable.

To create a sound effect in an oric program using the above format is fairly simple, since the triggering of ornament and volume sequences can be initiasted simply by writing to the relevant music channel ornament or sample.
The base note (That which the effect is based on) must also be written

It is then a simple matter of composing the volume sequences(Known in Sonix as Samples) and ornaments. The main tune and ingame music may also be composed using the same music file.
For a single player game Ingame music may use 2 channels leaving the third for sound effects.
Unfortunately only the very latest sonix version support the envelope generator and their implementation can seem strange (because they were added after the sonix format was established).
However for most games, the basic sounds are sufficient.
Triggering the sound effect can be done under basic or machine code, since it is just a matter of writing to 3 or 4 locations between BFE0 and BFFF.
romualdl
Officer Cadet

sonix

Post by romualdl »

Hi;

Am I the only one who managed to get some music from this wonderful program?
;)

Regards
Romu
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

no, i did too.
Steve Marshall also did (he produced at least two pieces of music) but since his background is in Music, he always would have preferred a stave system.
romualdl
Officer Cadet

musac

Post by romualdl »

hi Twi,

Of course you did, I mean, well would be weird...
;)

Regards
Romu
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

btw Rommy, congrats on the new Family Line.
Also, do you have any example of what you produced in sonix. I am always pleased to hear new compositions, esp. on Sonix.