Charset data

The Oric video chip is not an easy beast to master, so any trick or method that allows to achieve nice visual results is welcome. Don't hesitate to comment (nicely) other people tricks and pictures :)
jede
Flying Officer

Charset data

Post by jede »

Hello,

Do you know if there is somewhere a list of charset available for text mode.

There is many charset availables, but do we have somewhere these files ?

Thanks
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

What do you mean by that? If there are lists of already made set of redefined characters you can use on the Oric?
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

I am looking for a repository of charset

I think it does not exist but maybe someone knows
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, I believe this does not exist simply because there's no defined format for it.

We could start one, possibly using the SVN depot, where for each charset we would have:
- the base picture (like PNG file) containing all the characters and easy to modify
- a pictconv script to convert the picture to an Oric compatible file
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Dbug wrote:Well, I believe this does not exist simply because there's no defined format for it.

We could start one, possibly using the SVN depot, where for each charset we would have:
- the base picture (like PNG file) containing all the characters and easy to modify
- a pictconv script to convert the picture to an Oric compatible file
For charset, it's only for text mode. It needs a raw format only (768 bytes long).

It could be cool in svn. (i don't know if my account still work)

Anyway, do you mean a format with fonts bigger than 6*8 ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Not everybody needs the full 96 characters defined, so I'm not sure that imposing a 768 bytes long single format is a good idea. Typically if you want to use it for the alternate charset you don't have the full 96 characters available (without cheating).

I've not disabled any SVN account, so they should be available. I guess a good location could be:
- \svn\public\oric\assets\charsets

So later on we could add things like graphics, samples, icons, etc... usable for anyone's projects if necessary.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Dbug wrote:Not everybody needs the full 96 characters defined, so I'm not sure that imposing a 768 bytes long single format is a good idea..
I disagree, by the sounds of it Jede is referring to the standard set which is 96 characters and the original intended characters (ASCII characters) so 96 is a perfect format to observe. :wink:

In fact i would personally go one step further by asking that any contributed character set should also be accompanied with a png of the full 96 characters in the definition and a text file with a description of the character set (such as font style, copyright, used in a game) and the original contributer (though i suspect svn will have this info). :idea:

If people need to add or subtract certain characters, i would hope the character set is held as 8x96 byt statements so they could be removed easily. :idea:

Dbug wrote:Typically if you want to use it for the alternate charset you don't have the full 96 characters available (without cheating)..
From the way i read Jede's request that is irrelevant. Read above.
Please correct me if i'm wrong Jede.

As for a repository, i had a disk (one of my 200 images) that only had character sets in it. However these did include graphics.
But if my understanding of what you are asking is correct, that sounds like a great idea. 8)

Eeek, suddenly noticed the date of this post (August 7th!). Ok, this reply is just a tad slow!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Since I'm not sure everybody noticed, I added a sample in the SVN depot:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... rsets/6x8/